Author Topic: Upper Sacramento River, July 7-8  (Read 1743 times)

eastcoastlurker

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Upper Sacramento River, July 7-8
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
Greetings from your occasional East Coast correspondent!  My CA trip this summer did not take me to the Eastern Sierra, but I did get a couple of days on C&R section of the Upper Sacramento River upstream from Dunsmuir.  First, the probably not unexpected bad news…it’s dry.  Shasta Lake appears to be half empty, Mount Shasta has only a few streaks of snow left, and the Upper Sac was low and clear.  Wading was easy, but fish were very scarce.  In fact, in about 5 hours of serious fishing (sadly, my time on the water was curtailed by extreme heat, a touch of illness, and equipment trouble) I saw only three fish.

Pictured:  Start of the Upper Sac at Siskiyou Dam. 

eastcoastlurker

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Sacramento River, July 7-8
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
Now for the good news:  I caught one of those fish, a rainbow in the 14-16” range.  The offending lure was a Mepps Thunderbug with gold blade and dark body.  Unfortunately as I was carefully getting my phone out for a picture the fish took advantage of my inattention by flopping out of the net, leaving the barbless hook behind.  However, it decided to sulk under the rock on which I was sitting, so I do have a picture although you will have to take my word that I caught it. 

So not the best trip I've ever had but at least there's a fish pic!

Pictured:  P-O’ed trout.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
hi eastcoast!   glad you could make it out this year.... yup, the sac valley is hot and dry!   not too much fun on some days.     love your fish shot.. yes, i see it:)     

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:12:51 PM »
mr lurker. I applaud your valiant effort. Yes Ca. unfortunately the drought here in my grand state Is very bad at this time! see you at the rock creek meeting next year!