Author Topic: Emergency Communication Devices (EMC)  (Read 2314 times)

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Emergency Communication Devices (EMC)
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »
Creekers,
I would appreciate any comments or recommendations you might have with regard to EMC.  I caught plenty of flak from the Mrs. and my daughters over the last trip I took (solo to NF Big Pine Creek).  I never felt unsafe and I was well prepared but nevertheless 3 women against 1 littlefish is no contest.  The SPOT looks like a reasonable choice but I want to hear from you folks before I do anything.  Thanks again.  lf

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Communication Devices (EMC)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »
I've been using the Spot for years. Usually send a check message per day so everyone on my list gets a link for a satellite pic of where I am. I also have the Spot gadget that links with an iphone where you can send a limited message. A few messages never went through but I may have turned it off to quick. Fortunately I haven't needed the SOS feature.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
I got my SPOT last year after the missing hiker (Larry Conn) could not be found.  Itís defiantly put my family of ease since I got it.  Itís easy to use and weighs almost nothing.  Usually I send a checked message 3 times a day:  one when I start hiking in the morning, one lunch stop and one at dinner time.  If I go off-trail, Iíll send a checked message then too.  Once I get to my destination and make base camp where Iím going to stay for a few days or more, Iíll send just one checked message per day.

You can par the SPOT with your smartphone and even use it for sending custom messages as bj said, but I never take my cell phone with me, thatís just the minimalist in me.  One cool button on the SPOT is the help button.  Push that and one of 3 pre-programmed messages (you pick and you program before your trip) will be sent to the people on your list.  I used that for re-supply (food), and pick-up reminder (trailhead).

The check message sends a GPS coordinates or an email with a link to Google Maps to your contacts with your location, so they can follow your progress as you hike.  Pretty cool gadget.  Never had to use the SOS feature and hope I never do, but it there if a SAR rescue is needed.  I also fill out the ReConn Form provided by Maverick and give to my wife before I leave on my trips.

http://www.reconn.org/
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
Great topic, littlefish.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.