Author Topic: Backpacking a Float Tube  (Read 3005 times)

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Backpacking a Float Tube
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »
Any recommendations and/or comments on a back country float tube system. Floating around on a beautiful backcountry lake sounds lie heaven to me.  The total weight seems to be about 15 extra pounds but for a short trip that seems reasonable.  Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks again for all your help.  the lf

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacking a Float Tube
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
I hauled my float tube up to Mack Lake once. It wasn't bad for that short hike. Was going to make a killing floating around where you can't get on foot. One fish!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
Yeah I've got to get a tube. From the research I've done Outcast @ outcastboats.com seems to be the biggest bang for the money, website totalflyfishing.com has a great comparison article on the different models of Outcast. Outcast has a backpacking model out called the Trinity that weighs in about 7 lbs with a 300lb. capacity. Most of the Outcast tubes weigh about 15 lb., good for a day hike but I would like to shave off as much weight  so I could cover more ground.(which means more lakes to fish) Force Fins seem to be the way to go for the best brand in fins.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Float tubes can be a great to get out on the water. I used to have one myself and caught hundreds, if not thousands, of fish over the years I had one. I used to pack mine in to the high country lakes and most of the time I would have the lake entirely to myself. The objective here was not to catch the most fish up there as much as it was to be somewhere on the water with no one else around. Just be careful and consider not fastening the net tray belt on the top of the tube.       
"Don't get no better than this!"

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
Here's the float tube I use. Its like a Lazy-Boy on the water. Only your mid shin to your feet are in the water. I LOVE mine, and I have several other brands, but this is the way to roll. The valves are AMAZING and easy to fill and let air out of.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/water-skeeter-daytripper-float-tube~p~70793/

It's on sale right now as well. $75 for this is a steal for how well its made.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!