Author Topic: There's always Montana!  (Read 3232 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
There's always Montana!
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »
So,  on the way up to the club event,  Salim asked me if I wanted to ride up to Montana with him come late July...ha ha,  that is like asking if I want free pie,  sounds good to me!  We headed out about 10 am from L.A. with a total of four of us in the Van,  and headed North!  It went from a high of 113 degrees when we went thru Vegas to a Low of 28 when we entered Yellowstone the next morning around daybreak. 

We arrived at Salim's place in Livingston a couple of hours later,  on this nice street with the Rocky Moutains in the background 
and with no rest for the weary,  headed out to hit the Yellowstone River that afternoon.  This was some big,  bad water,  much bigger than our creeks here,  and it took some adjusting to start catching fish.  The fish bit mostly in the evenings,  and wanted dry flies floating high right on the surface.  In town in was mostly rainbows and mountain whitefish,  with an occasional cutthroat and the the rare brown thrown in.  Some of the rainbows were up to 18 inches.  These were all wild trout too,  no trout are stocked in the state of Montana.  There are tons of rivers and creeks up here,  but most of it is fished by driftboat,  much of the waters are on private property.  Gotta pick your spots when fishing from shore. 

We fished a couple of days up in the park on Soda Butte Creek as well,  this was day fishing as there are too many animals up there that like to get active in the evenings.    In fact,  at one point,  we had two bison walk thru two areas we had just evacuated a couple of minutes before!  This was also all catch and release fishing,  barbless hooks,  for Yellowstone Cutthroats.  We caught several fish in the 16-20 range. 

We fished a lot,  ate a lot,  went shooting with some great Montana friends,  and overall had a great time! 
The capper might have been going over on the way back to stand right where Lewis and Clark stood,  over 200 years before,  where the Jefferson and Madison come together to form the Missouri.  Lots of history there!  It was a great week and a half in a home away from home! 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: There's always Montana!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »
WOW!  Best word that comes to mind.  Way to go you guys!  Thanks for the quality TR and pictures, Terry.  You and Salim, what a team!!!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
Jealous!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
Beautiful Yellowstone Cutthroats!   :clap: :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Very very nice!  I have 2 friends I've known from the early 70's. One lives in Livingston and one is Missolula. Holy moley! Have I missed out on things! On my LIST! Just a bit too far and hard to get to from Austin!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
 great trip you guys!    you sure can pack alot of fun into a trip... now must be time for a nap:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
it was a great fishing trip.
the weather was great.
the friends were great.
the food was great.

I am now going to bed early to recoup lost sleep.
had coffee on my deck watching the sun rise almost every morning.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »
Awesome!! Love the color of those Cut's!!

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:10:04 AM »
Beautiful. I miss Montana.