Author Topic: Rock Creek Lake "Walk-in" Sites  (Read 15137 times)

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Lake "Walk-in" Sites
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
Does any one know if you can reserve the "walk-in" campsites at the inlet of the lake?   :camping:
I haven't been able to find anything so I doubt it, but thought I'd ask just in case.
Thanks.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Lake "Walk-in" Sites
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »
Nope 1st come 1 serve
The Creek is Waiting...

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:46:14 AM »
Thank you Corey, thought so.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:50:28 AM by Jmcclure83 »

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »
I have always wanted to try those sites they are really nice. Bring your bug spray and have a great time. In case you didn't know they do have wheelbarrels in the parking lot for people to get there stuff to the sites.
The Creek is Waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:11:45 PM »
I still say camping at the lake is about the same as camping on the 405 freeway..................

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
Ah, R96, you put the truth out there, my friend, maybe not delicately, but there's no mistaking it for meaning anything else that what it is.  LMAO
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
I kind of wonder how much traffic is back there in those walk in sites.  I sure have never been impressed with those rv sites that are along the road,  but maybe the walk in sites aren't bad.  It aint the 405 freeway Roy,  I bet it's been a while since you have seen the 405...you haven't missed much lol
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
Terry I was on the 405 two weeks ago going to visit my son....I hate driving on freeways, The only freeways I tolerate is the 210 and 15 as they lead me to the 395...

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
I'll get to experience the "Cajon Crawl" this Saturday as we head up the 15 to 395. But since I'm heading to Bishop and then Rock Creek, it'l be worth it.

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 07:04:42 AM »
I have always wanted to try those sites they are really nice. Bring your bug spray and have a great time. In case you didn't know they do have wheelbarrels in the parking lot for people to get there stuff to the sites.

Corey, I've camped there a lot over the past 15 years always late September, but never thought to reserve until this year because we have a larger than normal group joining us this time and I'd like to get a couple of sites next to each other.  That time of year its quite chilly at night  :cold: (been snowed on the past 2 years), but there are few bugs, few people, but plenty of fish and pie still!!! :fishing3:  :pie:

There is a little foot traffic through those walk-in sites during the day (hikers/fisherman), but I feel its way more secluded than any of the other campgrounds I've stayed in along the creek (Eastfork, French, & Aspen).  If you've ever stayed at those and liked it, then I'd definitely recommend at least trying the walk-in sites at the lake so long as you don't mind the wheel barrel trips and a little extra walk to the bathroom if need be. 

The traffic the others are referring to must be the sites along the road before you get back to the walk-in sites.  You can't see any cars from them or hear them from over the near by creek. 

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
On this site. I don't think I have ever heard of any one staying at "Rock Creek Lake Campground". Can any one do a camp report on this site with pics? That would be awesome!

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
On this site. I don't think I have ever heard of any one staying at "Rock Creek Lake Campground". Can any one do a camp report on this site with pics? That would be awesome!

I'll be up the 3rd weekend in September, providing that I get a site, Iíll report on it the best I can!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
looking foreard too your report!     i remember walking thru those walkin site to check them out a couple of years ago,,, and they seemd like they would be a good place to camp.... they are so different from the rest of the campgrounds in the canyon

was just thinking,, we could take them all over for club!  if each one of us took in one wheelbarrel full of packers kitchen equipment,, we could get him all set up back there!  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:44:04 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
Mike-as far as Rock Creek Lake campgrounds,  there are several.  There are the ones Roy secretly stays in sometimes,  the ones right along the road,  with all the traffic,  which he somehow never posts pictures of  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:,  there are the walk in sites,  and then there is the group site,  which is within walking distance of pie...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
I few years back I checked out those walk in sites and wasn't impressed. Not much elbow room in those sites, with the tent pads about 2 - 3' off the trail.

I was thinking it might be fun to stay there and fish the lake all night if I choose to. I'll just stay at a creekside site and drive to the lake if I feel like fishing deep into the night.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
True Paul,  anytime I have fished down from Mos. flats to the lake,  I wind up walking thru some of  those sites,  almost feel like I am intruding cuz you can't help but walk thru them...

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
True some of the tent pads are right off the path, but no one walks them at night when you are actually in your tent so itís not much of an issue.

Iíd say timing is everything. 
Would I like the sites at peak season, probably not, but late September when we typically go there arenít too many people walking through, at least not in my experience over the years.

Aside from that we have met some fun people, probably much like yourselves, passing through.  Weíve all got one fantastic common interest right?!
Also, if you have a group that requires 2 sites it can be quite fun having a larger span of area back in there. :campfiregroup:

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »

The walk-in sites off the lake are really nice and you only have a short walk to the lake inlet which is my favorite place to fish the lake. Just in case check out Big Meadow on your way up for a back-up. No matter where you end up the memories of being in the canyon will carry you through the winter months, and create excitement for next season. Look forward to your post when you return. Don't forget the  :pie2:

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
I have actually walked thru those sites several times to get to the waterfall at the back . It's Beautiful ! The sites look nice maybe the first couple right off the bridge might get a lot of traffic but the rest look really nice and you could actually walk to the pie in less han 10 min.   :pie2: now that would be amazing  :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
Does anyone know what the cost per night is up at these spots this year?
 :camping:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
I beleave it's $22.00 per day. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
I don't want to share this but since there has been some negative reviews. There are two sites that are secluded completely from foot traffic. One is to the left after you cross the bridge past the two sites along the trail and the other is just to the right of the bridge past the one located right on the trail. I won't say the number of these sites (sorry). Most of you have probably not taken the time to go back there and check it out.

Last year I had to camp at East Fork for two days until the lake opened up and then I had the entire campground on the other side of the bridge to myself. It was so nice I extended my stay an additional 7 days.

My favorite site has it's own trail through the trees leading to it about 75' or so off the trail that goes around the lake. The other site is off the trail leading up to the water fall and meadow which few people travel. That one has more mosquito's because it is closer to the creek and is an additional 100 yards hiking in your gear. This is why I have scaled down to almost backpacking style camping. I used to load everything including the kitchen sink which would require an hour or more rolling the wheelbarrows in and out.  Now I leave any nonessential items in the car and keep it simple.

I get my favorite site most times due to the fact that most people are not willing to pack in their gear the 150 yards from their car. I have had deer and a coyote visit me in the past in this site and you could literally go naked in this site without anyone seeing you. (unless you are a hot girl, I don't recommend it :bowdown:)

I will take a car camp site along the creek if I can't get something good at the lake and although it is nice not having to pack everything in, I don't like the fact that you a camping so close to other people. Kind of reminds my of the Costa Mesa Swamp Meet (in the Sierra's).

I guess that is why I like backpacking. It's not that I don't like people because virtually everyone I meet at the creek are the nicest of the humans. I just like the peacefulness of being alone in the wilderness sometimes.

If I am camping with the family and grandkids like I did this summer, it doesn't matter that much. Convenience is the key at that point. The walk-in sites do not give you any convenience except being able to put your beer down, stand up and pee, then sit back down :fishing3:. This emoticon is the closest I could find to portray the last comment.

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
I've been their before Trouter. I really like all the sites in that area honestly, don't mind a little foot traffic and crowds tend to diminish by later September anyway so midweek it minimal anyway. :twothumbs:

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the night time temps have been at lately?
I'll be up a week from Wednesday and while I always dress warm enough, I have some newbies joining me and wouldn't mind giving them some of the latest overnight lows so they are well aware.  Thanks.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
For next week, it shows the lows from 35-40 degrees for Rock Creek Lake.  If your in one of the lower campgrounds, expect a few degrees higher.  The highs average about 60*F.  But I would check just before you go as the weather can and does change real fast!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."