Author Topic: Rock Creek Lake "Walk-in" Sites  (Read 15143 times)

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Lake "Walk-in" Sites
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »
Thanks. Where do you find Rock Creek Lake weather at?

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
weather.com might be a good starting spot,  but as far as I know,  the closest place it would be showing weather would be for Mammoth.  Someone else mentioned a better site on the Rock creek lake section of facebook,  maybe they will chime in here.  Like someone else said,  though,  if you are really that worried about night time temps,  might wanna stay at French or somewhere else.  It's the Sierras,  prepare for anything  :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
Here is a sit that will give you a running report of the temps at the Rock Creek Resort:  http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=rck

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
weather.com might be a good starting spot,  but as far as I know,  the closest place it would be showing weather would be for Mammoth.  Someone else mentioned a better site on the Rock creek lake section of facebook,  maybe they will chime in here.  Like someone else said,  though,  if you are really that worried about night time temps,  might wanna stay at French or somewhere else.  It's the Sierras,  prepare for anything  :clap:

Oh I’m certainly not worried. I’ve been camping up there for the past 15 or so years,  even been snowed on a few times like last year.
I was asking more out of curiosity.  Seems this time of the year the temps can really vary a bit.  As I said I have some new folks joining our regular group this year and want to make sure they pack warm enough :cold:, figure if I have some accurate night time lows they might listen to those better than just “dress warm”.  Thanks for the input.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »
Not weather.com Terry, that’s too general.  This weather site is from “The Trout Fitter” shared by Retired96 earlier this year and is fully customizable.  If you hit “Rock Creek” under local weather, it takes you to little lakes valley Trailhead at Mosquito Flats and gives you the weather forecast for there, not Mammoth Lakes. 

For instance, I took the Lee Vining local forecast and turned it into weather forecast for the “20 lakes Basin”.  Now I have a custom weather forecast for just where I’m going to hike and fish!  It’s been very accurate so far this year for me.  But like all forecasts, it can change in a hurry as most of us have seen in the past.  It’s most accurate if you update on a daily basis.  To update page, just open your saved weather page.  You’ll need wi-fi or 3G/4G of course.

Thanks to Retired96 for this great weather feature. :twothumbs:

The Trout Fitter Page
http://www.thetroutfitter.com/weather.html

20 Lakes Basin Page
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-119.30571&lat=37.99342
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
As someone that has tent camped in every month of the season in Rock Creek I learned you must always be prepared for drastic changes in the weather...I recall a trip in mid October 1997 where the weather had been Indian summer until Saturday and a massive cold front moved in within hours...The temp. had been about 65 degrees in the early afternoon and within about two hours the temps dropped to  low 30's with a 50-60 MPH wind...That night it dropped to 8 degrees in French  Camp......No matter what,,,, every trip I take I always bring warm cloths and a heavy jacket...Usually don't need them during the summer months but I have them just in case as the weather can change in a moments notice......I personally like the cooler colder weather when camping as I hate the heat even when I'm in Rock Creek....

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
 :goodpost:

I'm with you.  I'm from Lancaster, CA. Our Summer starts in May and ends in November.  I go to Rock Creek to escape the heat for a bit.  Love needing a sweatshirt or jacket in what is my normal Summer months!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »
Ha ha I got all you guys beat,  I grew up in Blythe,  anytime I got to the Sierras,  or L.A. when there was Marine layer,  I felt I was going to freeze.  I have been up at East Fork in July when it barely got below 50 degrees at night.  I have also been up there in July when the lows hit 28...like Roy said,  prepare for it all!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 07:13:01 AM »
One week away now!!
Couldn't be better timed,  :hitfan: at work this week and I need a break!

:camping: :fishing3: :pie2:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:23 AM »
Next Tuesday at the crack of dawn I will be heading north on 395 getting my butt out of Southern Calif. 

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
Next Tuesday at the crack of dawn I will be heading north on 395 getting my butt out of Southern Calif.

Where are you headed?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »
Rock Creek where else would I go.... Its my second home..... Will be in French Camp my favorite site at the top of the loop on the creek...If anyone is in my site they will be evicted at gunpoint....

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
Rock Creek where else would I go.... Its my second home..... Will be in French Camp my favorite site at the top of the loop on the creek...If anyone is in my site they will be evicted at gunpoint....
:rotflmao:

I'll steer clear!!

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Is there a maximum occupancy per site?  Its never been an issue in the past, but we'll have as many as 12 people with us this year so, thought I'd inquire.
Thanks!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
Maximum of six per walk in site.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Thanks! Headed ou7t tomorrow morning!!! Stoked!!!  :chestbump:
 :camping:

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »
Was up last Wednesday-Saturday evening.  Stayed a the walk-in sites.  Although our group was spread out amongst 3 separate sites because a larger than normal amount of people were staying in those sites.  Over all I think population was up for this time of year and my theory is the road construction.  Once people wait for 30-45 minutes to get through the road construction they are going to settle on whatever they find for a campground so that they don’t have to wait again just to go back to the lower sites.  Same goes for the day trip folks, once they got up there they stayed for the day.

Anyway, the trip was still fantastic.  Cool weather and a bit windy at times, but very nice over all.  Creek was probably the lowest I’ve seen it above the lake.  I felt creek fishing above the lake was poor as a result, think I caught the only keep-able size Brookies out of there within the first hour of fishing.  After that I could get anything more than a few inches.  Still fun regardless!  The lake fishing was great though.  On Thursday and Friday a group 6 of us brought chairs, snacks, hookah, and inebriating liquid with us and had a blast.  I limited out the first day and caught a few more the following using everything from lures, Mice Tails, and powerbait.  Same for most members of our group.  People were accusing us of cleaning out the SW shoreline :clap:

Life at camp consisted of more inebriating liquids, brats, burgers, bacon, snacks, bocce ball, laughing, and fire.  Grand time amongst grand people and grand environment.  Perfect close to my Summer, already anxious for next years trip :twothumbs:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:21:21 AM by Jmcclure83 »

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
RCL Friday morning from Southern shoreline.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
Glad your trip was a success.   Just hope next year comes sooner and you stay longer!  :camping: :tent: :fishing3: :hiking2:

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 08:20:31 AM »
JMCclure83. yes the sierras make their own weather. You must always be prepared for any time of weather and be open minded and strong willed. I have many time seen campers pack up all their gear in minutes and high tail it out of Rock creek once they see one drop of rain! Man up and enjoy every minute and climate that rock creek offers!

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
JMCclure, thanks for the late season report. It is encouraging to hear you had good fishing in the lake this time of year. I can't tell you how many times I have been skunked in September at the lake.

Next time you have that many people going up you should consider the group camp over by the boat dock area. Depending on the time of year you might be able to reserve it with a ten person minimum. I have done it twice but because you can only reserve 365 days in advance, it might be hard to get something during the early time of the season. I have tried many times since the last time and have been unsuccessful. I you are doing an early or late season trip, it might work.

The problem is that you can only reserve 365 days in advance. So if you want reserve - July 1, 2014 through July 7, 2014 you have to wait until July 7, 2013 to reserve. When you wait the full week you find someone has reserved July 1, 2014 through July 4, 2014 (eliminating 4 days out of your week. You can't just say you want July 1 through July 7 until July 7 is past.  Somehow this system needs to be corrected.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:32:47 PM by trouter »

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »
wshawkins. are those temps predicted are for the lows at night?

Travelling Cirques

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »
True some of the tent pads are right off the path, but no one walks them at night when you are actually in your tent so it’s not much of an issue.

I’d say timing is everything. 
Would I like the sites at peak season, probably not, but late September when we typically go there aren’t too many people walking through, at least not in my experience over the years.

Aside from that we have met some fun people, probably much like yourselves, passing through.  We’ve all got one fantastic common interest right?!
Also, if you have a group that requires 2 sites it can be quite fun having a larger span of area back in there. :campfiregroup:

I would agree that the walk-in sites back there are quite secluded. Last time we stayed there was about 12 years ago, but I was able to hang a clear 3 gallon water bottle about 50 feet behind our tent site and shower underneath it....naked, mid-day. Nobody was there (that I know of, haha). As someone stated, a few fishermen use the main trail but the sites are not viewable from there, they are set back from the lake 100 yards or so.