Author Topic: use bug spray!  (Read 3472 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
use bug spray!
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »
just a heads up to all.....

I have learned of a camper on the east side who came down with epidemic typhus... the docs are saying it most likely came from a flea or chigger bite while camping....

the camper is now fine.. after 3 long weeks of pure misery,,,, sick, sick ,sick.... fever, headaches, blah blah blah...

so use that bug spray!!!!   especially around the ankles!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
Re: use bug spray!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »
I hate chiggers! We have had flea-borne Typhus here in the OC again this year.  Nasty disease...
The creek is waiting...

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »
What does a chigger look like?

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:53:54 AM »
What does a chigger look like?

Nearly microscopic Jm, and mite/might look like the period at the end of this sentence. Basically, can't see them unless they're moving.

I''ve never seen one, just felt the agony of their bite around my sock line. The most intense itch, that lasted months.

They love the tall grass in the meadows around the creek, and constantly looking for a host to latch on to.

Unfortunately, I rarely where shorts at the creek any more, a sacrifice I do willingly to avoid the agony.

The year I was slammed by them was a very wet year, and I felt I had loaded up with DEET.

If you get a lot of mosquito bites around your sock line, they are likely chiggers.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
I preffer the Eucalyptus based mosquito spray. I find it to be a better scent that will often mask many underlying odors. Well you can even use it as Cologne!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »
I started using the insect repellent “Permethrin” which I spray on my outer clothing and gear and let dry.  So far this year after 2 backpacking trips plus 14 days of day hikes to fishing lakes or streams, there have been no mosquito bites!  That’s a first for me as they love my blood!

Permethrin repels and kills ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitos.  I wear long sleeve shirts and long pants when out fishing, so no more insect spray or lotion needed anymore.  Stuff really works well.  But you’ll need to reapply to your clothes every 6 weeks or six washes to it keep working.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »

Nearly microscopic Jm, and mite/might look like the period at the end of this sentence. Basically, can't see them unless they're moving.

I''ve never seen one, just felt the agony of their bite around my sock line. The most intense itch, that lasted months.

They love the tall grass in the meadows around the creek, and constantly looking for a host to latch on to.

Unfortunately, I rarely where shorts at the creek any more, a sacrifice I do willingly to avoid the agony.

The year I was slammed by them was a very wet year, and I felt I had loaded up with DEET.

If you get a lot of mosquito bites around your sock line, they are likely chiggers.

Thanks. I always wear pants and have not yet experienced this type of bite. (Knock on wood)