Author Topic: Fall Colors  (Read 4444 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Fall Colors
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
Looks like fall colors are just around the corner.  I was at South Lake Trailhead on August 22nd dropping off some friends for their backpacking trip and the aspens and meadow grasses are beginning to yellow, mostly above the 9,000 foot range.  Also upper Rock Creek and McGee Creek are starting to change colors.  If I would have to guess, Mid-September to the 1st week of October should be prime time fall colors this year!

This is the beginning of the beautiful time in the Eastern Sierra!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Colors
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Going up 9/17-9/21.
Can't wait!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
Your timing looks great!  It was prime fall colors on upper Rock Creek and Rock Creek Lake.  The pictures below were take on 9-18-13.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Great News! Headed up 0n the 12th for 3 days. How is the water level in the creeks. Will try and stay at Big Meadow, as the drive into the campground should be beautiful! If not then # 7 at Upper Pine Grove. Can't wait!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
I'm going up 9/15 for 7 days and will make my last trip in the middle of October....

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:16:38 AM »
Flying to LAX tonight. S/B in the Owens Valley tonight. 3 trips of 2 nighters.  Saddlebag, Virginia Lakes, South Lake Tahoe and then on to Reno for the air races. I'm terrible at TR's. Will do a bit late though. Staying away from the Creek as construction may impede on fishing time.  :chrisw:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »
I'll be up near the end of the month.  No crowds, good fishing, great fall colors and maybe some pie!

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Very much looking forward to it.  Tough to focus at work, when all I'm thinking about is  :fishing3:, eating, drinking,  laughing, and :pie2:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:36 AM »
Who cares what the water level is like,  go up there and enjoy  :fishing3:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »
Awesome news, Trev Dog.  You, too, Tex.  I agree with Topwater.  Enjoy  :hiking2: :fishing3: :tent: :tent:
28 days and counting to SLR.  Hopefully, wshawkins, the aspens in the Loop and at Walker Lake will be showing off.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »
Trev Dog, this was the Rock Creek last year on Aug. 21st, so think it will be fine.  lots of rainy days this summer, so may be even better.  Don't really matter as the fishing is good either way! :fishing3:

8-21-2013

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »
Awesome news, Trev Dog.  You, too, Tex.  I agree with Topwater.  Enjoy  :hiking2: :fishing3: :tent: :tent:
28 days and counting to SLR.  Hopefully, wshawkins, the aspens in the Loop and at Walker Lake will be showing off.

Saudust, your timing should be perfect for the June Lake Loop and Walker Lake.  First week of October was prime time Fall Colors last year, the best colors I have seen in many years.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »
Parchers Resort has one the earliest fall color reports for 2014 as of Sep. 3rd.  Bishop Creek Canyon seems to always change colors first.  Not quite prime time yet but give it a week or two. 

On another note related to this is I dropped off some friends at South Lake for their backpacking trip (They were taking the Bishop Pass Trail and doing the JMT).  I ran into Jared Smith of Parchers.  What a great guy he is!  If you need any advice on fishing in any of the nearby lakes or streams, talk to him.  Hes a true fish addict and loves to share information on where and how to catch them.  I ended up staying a few days in one of the cabins which was originally part of Paradise Lodge on lower Rock Creek.

Over 150 fish in three days!  Brookies, Rainbows, Browns, Goldens and Golden/Rainbow Hybrids.  Best short fishing trip ever!  And so pretty there!  Advice is free, just ask for him at the Parchers store. 

Enough of that, back to fall color:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Parchers-Resort-South-Lake-Landing/79705363136?hc_location=timeline