Author Topic: Our trip 8/24 - 8/30  (Read 6659 times)

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Our trip 8/24 - 8/30
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:43:18 PM »
My sister and I had a great week at the creek last week, we camped at Big Meadow from Sunday through Saturday. We have found that arriving Sunday morning around 9:00 is perfect for getting a good campsite. We drove up from Riverside on Saturday and spent the night at the Best Western Bishop Lodge, which was very nice and quiet. Once we arrived at Big Meadow, we were delighted to find that campsite #8 was available (we had it last year too). It's a nice big site with room for our 13 X 9 foot tent, and gets great morning sun. Once the sun appears over the eastern mountain ridge the temperature inside the tent goes up 20 degrees. That's when I crawl out of my sleeping bag. From Sunday until Thursday afternoon, there were only three campsites occupied, so we had the campground mostly to ourselves. By Friday morning it was full with all the Labor Day campers. The weather was beautiful the whole week the warmest we saw was 78 and one night it dropped down to 41, and we got no rain. The creek was pretty low, but was flowing nicely. Campsite #8 is right on the creek, I could take 4 steps out of my tent and get my feet wet. I didn't do any fishing but the creek is stocked right there at our campsite and they put in two scoopfuls on Tuesday. All told I saw probably 10 or 12 fish get caught right there by the end of the week. We went up to the lodge on Thursday to take showers (whether we needed them or not) and the road construction caused about a 10 minute delay. They take groups of cars up with a pilot car, but it wasn't bad. The first bridge was having new utility cables installed, so it was extremely narrow (only one lane) and there was a guy with a stop/go sign directing traffic one at a time.
  It was just a nice peaceful, relaxing week, I can't think of any place I'd rather be. That's why my sister and I come back year after year. Our parents (now both gone) started bringing us to Rock Creek in 1958, so we have very fond memories. Her family doesn't care to camp, nor does my family, so we have an annual brother/sister tradition of our own that we've followed for about 8 years now. People were shocked to see that a brother and sister of our age (I'm 58, she's 60) still getting along so well and tent camping. Ever since I invested in a Teton Sports XXL cot, I sleep better at the creek than I do at home! Now I have to endure another year's wait until it's time to go again! Or I may try to make it to the next "club meeting" in July.

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Our trip 8/24 - 8/30
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »
What an awesome way to spend time with your sister. It sounds like everything went perfect.

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »
No way Steve! I went to big meadow 8/30-9/1 and got site #8 after you!!! Crazy! Good trip, Thanks for the report.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:16 PM »
Great report Big Steve, and a back to back for members WOW!  :clap:

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic time. Thanks for the report, makes me even more eager to get up there.  I've got 12 days, only 7 working, until I'm back at the creek.  :camping:  Super stoked.  Thanks again Steve!! :clap:

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
No way Steve! I went to big meadow 8/30-9/1 and got site #8 after you!!! Crazy! Good trip, Thanks for the report.
Sorry about the pistachio shells by the fire ring! Did you meet the single Dad with his two little girls in site #9? The six year old (little tiny thing) caught three fish right there, putting the worms on the hooks all by herself. Talk about an excited young lady!

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
Sorry about the pistachio shells by the fire ring! Did you meet the single Dad with his two little girls in site #9? The six year old (little tiny thing) caught three fish right there, putting the worms on the hooks all by herself. Talk about an excited young lady!

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to go up.  The 3 year old could hang, but 3 months is a bit too young.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
good times steve!  enjoy those brother sister trips, they are something to cherish:).   i certainately have a head and heart full of my brother and my escapades:). 

yup, you are coming to club next year....    and so is jmcclure:).   so pack your bags and get ready for more good times:).....
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Very good report Big Steve. At point I really envy the good times you spent at Big Meadow. I was able to spend my first camp trip this past summer and oh-boy, it was an amazing stay for us also. We will have to meet up some time since we are so close to you here in corona. Thatnk you for the great report. Im already looking forward to my next stay. I love Big Meadow!

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
Big Meadow is the only place we stay, we like that it has only 11 campsites so it isn't crowded. And getting there at about 9:00 on a Sunday morning has always gotten us a good site. My sister and I may not be able to make it next year, she has announced that she is selling her house here in Riverside and moving to live with her son in Spanish Fork Utah after the first of the year. So it looks like coming to club in July may be a distinct possibility. Although I would go camp by myself if I had to. Corona/Riverside, we are almost neighbors!

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
So. how where the mice? Did you encounter any at all like i did?

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
We had a few leave us calling cards on the table overnight, and had some nibbling evident on some napkins. One night I was sitting next to the campfire and one of the little punks ran right in front of me across my shoes, and hightailed it to the bushes. Brave little sucker....