Author Topic: First camping tript to RCL  (Read 4982 times)

beantown

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
First camping tript to RCL
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
Hey everyone,

excited to be planning a trip to rock creek lake from wed 9/24 to sun 9/28.  Last year I had my jeep all packed and ready to go the night before and then found out they shut down the campsites so I was really bummed.  was looking forward to it and seeing the eastern sierra fall colors.  we ended up going to mountain home state demonstration forest on the western side which was still good and open, and fishing at balch park.

I was thinking of staying at the pine grove or upper pine grove camp.  these are first come first serve, the chances are pretty good to get a spot Wednesday late morning?  are the pine grove sites secluded and spaced out?  is the rock creek lake campgrounds the sites in the other thread about the walk in sites?  We will be tent camping and have good cold weather gear, I actually prefer the colder temps when camping.

is there a place to buy a day fishing license at rock creek lake, I don't have a year one because I don't fish that often.  I plan to fish a day or 2, and do lots of day hikes in the back county.  do you need a permit for a day hike back there?  I do lots of backpacking in the sierras so I am a seasoned hiker.  Is there a store up there also which has grocery and fishing supplies incase we forget something or need to pick something up?

and I can't wait to get some of that pie everyone is talking about!

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: First camping tript to RCL
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
The walk in sites are at the lake, but there are also RV locations along the road at the lake.  Walk-ins are fairly secluded and Iíve never had issues getting a spot there mid-week. 

Not sure about the day fishing license.  I had friends that tried last year and were unable to obtain one, they had to drive all the way in to Mammoth Lakes for one.  Iíd recommend getting one ahead of time.  There is a store in Tomís Place as well as Rock Creek Lake Resort for minimal groceries. 

Enjoy, I'm heading up next Wednesday!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
The Government Shutdown last year really missed up a lot of vacations plans.  For the two Pine Groves campgrounds, Wednesday morning should work.  Best to get there by 10 am for the best spots, but being youíre coming up late September, the campgrounds sites are pretty easy to get.  Here is a link for pictures of each campsite for you to droll over: :doglick:

Pine Grove:
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Pine-Grove/photos/Pine-Grove-001

Upper Pine Grove:
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Upper-Pine-Grove

No permit needed for day hikes, only for overnight backpacking trips.  As for fishing license, I hear Toms Place stopped selling them, if that's true then the closest place to buy one is Crowley lake General Store, Convict Lake Resort, or go to Mammoth Lakes as Jmcclure83 mentioned.  But best place to buy one is on-line before you come up, as you can buy one or two day fishing license now.

Most important is to enjoy your stay at the creek.  You timed your trip perfectly for the fall color show. :clap:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:11:36 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
You shouldn't have to worry about finding any nice place to camp...I Always take trips in the middle of Sept. and October and have always found that there are very few people in the campgrounds..I camp in French Camp at the end of the season and never have more than 8-10 other campers in the entire campground.....

beantown

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
The Government Shutdown last year really missed up a lot of vacations plans.  For the two Pine Groves campgrounds, Wednesday morning should work.  Best to get there by 10 am for the best spots, but being youíre coming up late September, the campgrounds sites are pretty easy to get.  Here is a link for pictures of each campsite for you to droll over: :doglick:

Pine Grove:
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Pine-Grove/photos/Pine-Grove-001

Upper Pine Grove:
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Upper-Pine-Grove

No permit needed for day hikes, only for overnight backpacking trips.  As for fishing license, I hear Toms Place stopped selling them, if that's true then the closest place to buy one is Crowley lake General Store, Convict Lake Resort, or go to Mammoth Lakes as Jmcclure83 mentioned.  But best place to buy one is on-line before you come up, as you can buy one or two day fishing license now.

Most important is to enjoy your stay at the creek.  You timed your trip perfectly for the fall color show. :clap:

campsite look nice wish I was there now and not at work.

thanks for the info I will probably but them online

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »
The closest place to Rock Creek that sells fishing licenses is the Crowley Lake marina. I'd recommend buying one before you leave home, or at a sporting goods store in Bishop. You can get either a one day license, or a yearly license.

beantown

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
I'm all packed ready to go and leaving early in the am.  Looks like some cold weather and slight chance of snow rolling in.  Bringing my 4 season tent and -10 bags plus lots of fire wood.  Woo hoo!

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
Bean,
Have a great trip. Yes weather is cooling. If you get this msg before you leave or in time. If you need wood as you are there multiple days;GC Forest products in Mammoth (on Commercial St) is cost effective and burns well. :wood:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

beantown

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
so the trip was awesome.  just got back yesterday, spend Wednesday to Sunday there.  when we first arrived we got a site at upper pines, and the road construction was loud after we set up camp, I was almost ready to leave it was that bad.  we decided to stay 2 nights and then decide if we would stay longer if the noise was bad.  the next day was not as bad, we ended up hiking and fishing most of the day away from the noise.  Friday - sun was no construction.  the first 2 days were really windy and cold on the lake, we did not catch any fish in the lake except for a small trout.  we hiked in the morning and fished in the afternoon.  we went as far as chicken foot lake one day, and ruby lake the next.  I wanted to hike up to the passes and beyond, but the fiancť would not have that lol.  Friday started out sunny, but Friday night we woke up to snow at 1am and I got out of the tent to put the cover on my jeep.  Saturday was cloudy and snowy, it was light snow and did not stick much.  we fished up and down the creek to east fork in the snow and caught a few fish we had for lunch.  we hiked up a little bit in the lakes valley and was realy pretty with the snow in the morning.  Saturday nights snowed more and sunday morning, but it was light.

we enjoyed out stay and will be returning next year.  the fall colors and snow made it even more spectacular!

more pictures here:

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/beantownr6/library/rock%20creek%20lake

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:47:15 AM by beantown »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
Your trip looked awesome!  Great photos!  Really liked the fall color photos with the snow in the background.  Windy weather usually means poor fishing conditions as you experienced.  But usually there is some place on the lakes or streams where you can get out of the wind and still catch trout, but not always.

Recommend for next year to purchase a large sturdy tent where you can both stand up in, much more comfortable and plenty of room to store your gear.  Also I see you have a capable jeep, so set up at least one day for some back-country 4-wheeling.  You can actually drive to some lakes.  Let us know before you go again and we can toss some suggestions your way.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

beantown

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »
Ya I heard about that trail and saw it in my map.  I don't wheel alone but I'd love to check it out.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »
Really enjoy the pics.  Great to see fall color with the snow as wshawkins mentioned.  Glad you and your bride-to-be had a good trip, beantown.  Thanks for the TR.  Heading up in three days for 8 nights at Silver Lake Resort.  Wife and I just don't do well in a tent, so we have a small cabin as our base camp.  Hope to see lots of aspen color, hike a lot and catch a few beauties out of the lakes and streams.  Late September and early October are the best, IMO.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
Great phots sounds like a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing!!! :clap: