Author Topic: Saddlebag Lake trip  (Read 2831 times)

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Saddlebag Lake trip
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Left Ventura County at 5:00 am Saturday for Tioga Pass and Saddlebag Lake. Made it up the hill and found a camp site at saddlebag around 1:00 pm. Slow trip up when you have to stop at Alabama Hills Cafe for breakfast, and do all the grocery shopping for the trip in Bishop. Did some fishing at Saddlebag after setting up camp. We caught lots of little trout, one after another. I Did manage 1 really pretty little Brookie, and a 12 inch Brown. Steaks and trout for dinner! Sunday my buddy wanted bigger fish, and I wasn't quite ready to make a hike out of the day so, back down the pass to the back side of Grant it was. Much warmer down that way. My buddy got his wish with a nice 2.5 pond Bow! We both caught some nice 12-16 inch rainbows as well. Monday we broke camp early and caught the 8:00 am water taxi to 20 Lakes basin. My buddy can hike with the best of them, but he took his time and hiked at my pace which was nice of him. Even at my pace we made to the Golden Trout area in about an hour and a half. Took a quick rest and started fishing. The last 2 times I fished these lakes I caught 1 fish total. Monday however, was one of the best days catching Golden Trout in my life! I caught 9 beautiful Golden's! One of which was a fat 16 incher! My buddy caught his share as well. Ever fish dry fly's with a fulll bubble? Well, it works! Elk Hair caddis w/ a full bubble was the ticket! We kept 3 each, which is 1 more than I usually keep. The fishing was just so darn good it was hard to walk away. I must say it was really nice to be at 10,000 + elevation when it's 100 + degrees down here. Great trip and heading back up Oct. 3rd! Will be camping in Rockcreek cyn. that weekend. Looking forward to it. I have some video that i will put up soon. Good fishin! Almost forgot, Got the Grandslam, but it took me 3 days. Still counts in my book.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:20:22 AM by Sierraslam »

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Saddlebag Lake trip
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »
Great times. I was in Saddlebag the week of the 7th and skunked out on the goldie lakes. Was waaaay windy so flies were not an option. Lost a green crock with orange strap. Happen to see it on the way to goldie from Steelhead? Although I did hike over the pass and caught numerous full finned bows in the 12-16" range. Long day but satisfying. I'll take the "slam" as it's within your trip!  My tr will come in a week or two.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »
Sounds trout-a-licious, Sierraslam.  Looking forward to the vids.  Congrats on your slam, too.  I know you were baking on the back side of Grant.  There's just no shelter.  Did you fish any Sierra Bright Dots or just the EHC?  Since you're heading back up on 10/3, did you per chance find out if the water taxi will still be running then?  We're heading up on the 2nd for SLR, but have a few guests for two days, so won't make it to 20 Lakes Basin until the 6th or 7th.

Thanks for the TR.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:07:50 AM »
That was a great fishing trip!  The nine goldens caught is outstanding, not many can claim that feat.  Bubble and fly’s is all I use at the backcountry golden lakes.  Now you know why! 

I have to call you on your ‘Grand Slam”.  A true slam is four different species of trout caught in the same day, not a weekend or during your trip.  That’s what makes it so special and rare!  Still, what a satisfying trip that must have been for you.  This is about as good as it gets for a short fishing trip! :twothumbs:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
I thought the "slam" was 4 species (Bow, Brook, Brown, Golden) and the "grand slam" was getting a cutthroat as well.

John