Author Topic: Trip report  (Read 2571 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Trip report
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »
I arrived at French Camp last Monday about 10:00 in the morning,,, favorite site was empty and set up camp, collected pine cones. Hit the Upper Owens about 1300 and fished for about 3 hours.. Water was very low with a lot of weeds... I was able to catch 8 using worms and salmon eggs, all were in the 12 inch range... I saw many areas of the river where the water level used to be about 2 feet deep but instead was 6-10 inches deep...

I fished the river every day for about 5 hours and managed to catch and release about 8-10 each day. The weather was perfect, low 80's with no wind except for Thursday when the wind came up about 1030 and blew pretty hard... All week the river was deserted with only 5-6 other fishermen to be seen... Fishing with lures was tough due to the weeds in the river...

Fishing the creek in the campground was very slow, creek hasn't been planted since Labor Day and the few fish I did catch were small... I don't know why this entire season DFW stocked much smaller fish than past years.

Didn't bother going to the lake as the few people I talked with said they had 30 minute delays going and coming from the lake...The road had a lot const. traffic with large trucks which did cause a little bit of noise.

A cold front came in Saturday, little bit of rain, very light dusting of snow on the mountains, seems the White mountains to the east got more snow as they had a pretty good coverage..

French Camp all week had about 15-20 other campers in the campground, don't know about any of the others..  Overall a good trip, fishing was somewhat slow. but slow fishing is better than no fishing....

Saturday morning when I drove down Benton Crossing I had to stop as a large group of 30 plus small deer walked across the road in front of me.... 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Trip report
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »
Looks like another good trip!  Even with a cold front coming in with a little rain/snow, fishing was still OK.  I did check online with CDFW and no fish plants in Rock Creek since before Labor Day.  I wonder if the creek is too low for fish plants now.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
Sounds like another good fishing trip for you, R96.  Do you have one more planned for this year?  That was a big herd of deer, kind of a send off for you from the locals.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:01 PM »
NICE! I already miss it.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:51:35 PM »
jmcclure83
i miss it also, so much so Terry, and I with our friend Jo will make a quick trip this sunday to get some pie and brookies.

the rest know how crazy we are for  :pie2: :fishing3: