Author Topic: Weekend at Convict Lake  (Read 2458 times)

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Weekend at Convict Lake
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:02:38 AM »
Erik and I spent last weekend at Convict  :camping: Our last camping trip of 2014 and we got every kind of weather. We arrived on Friday to sunshine by Friday night the rain had started but it was lite so no big deal .Saturday afternoon it snowed , AMAZING ! Sunday Hail CRAZY ! and Sunday afternoon more rain .At about 5:00 I went into the tent to get something and that's when I realized the tent was leaking in all fairness to the tent its 6 years old anyway Eriks sleeping bag was wet mine not to bad it was on top of an air mattress .
Not knowing when the rain would stop we decided to move into the truck. I was in the back, the dogs in the back seat and Erik got the front seat "poor Erik" .
It must of snowed like crazy Sunday night because when we got up Monday morning the mountains were white BEAUTIFUL ! and the ground was covered in ice. Erik did manage to catch a few fish all small so back they went. No bears but we did have racoon's 2 of them .This was a first for me at Convict campground and I'll tell you I would rather have a bear .They did find a small package of peanut butter cups one night other than that we kept a clean site but it didn't stop them from going thru everything . The people in the site next to us left there cooler out and they actually opened it and took out the worms . I LOVE Camping  :camping: you just never know what will happen. Terry & Salim you would of been proud of my Brother & Sister in law they drove up to spend Saturday with us they drove home Sunday morning.
All in All a great trip but they ALL are  :woot2:
The Creek is Waiting...

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend at Convict Lake
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
I owe a few TR's here. I type with one hand as of Monday.
BUT Pictures? I was at Convict about a year ago and had hail by the airport that was awash on the roadway. Thought of bunking at Mc Gee cg but not too appealing so headed to EF where there were pellets of hail in the shadows but wet everywhere else. Fished the lake with good results.  Way to go Corey. We do seem to miss each other.  I need to pay more attention to directions.  I guess hard to when I'm solo. :happy:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
I had raccoons once tear through my backpack.  There was no food in the pack.  So I know they can do a lot of damage if you’re not watching your gear.  Those small animals with the cute faces are no friend to me, and I agree “I would rather have a bear” in my camp then raccoons.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
We had snow last year at the end of Sept. and it was incredibly beautiful. Luckily the roads melted off and were pretty passable, as we were in a 2 wd rental.  You guys are REAL campers, the kind that don't complain when the tent fails and things don't go according to some perfect plan. Great report.