Author Topic: October Caddis Hatch  (Read 29717 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: October Caddis Hatch
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 06:41:24 AM »
Another look at the mystery lake.  There is a short hike to get in here.  This photo was taken just over a week ago.  Any guesses?

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 10:32:12 AM »
Way too easy, Little Walker Lake, one of my favorites.

John
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:34:39 AM by John Harper »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »
Little Walker lake is correct.  The lake is just beautiful in fall.  The trout were really stacked up at the inlet when I was there last, getting ready to spawn I beleave.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Ever been to Green Creek?  This photo was taken near the trailhead parking, which takes you to many lakes and streams in the Hoover Wilderness back-country.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
Hawk. You're awesome and 100 percent as usual. THANKS. Will challenge you starting next Tuesday in my last ditch plan for 2014! :bowdown:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »
Thanks Tex!  Sounds like you’re heading up to the Eastern Sierra next Tuesday?  Probably in for some cool weather, with some snow left over from the present storm.   Was up last year in the first week of November (my Hilton Lakes backpacking trip) for excellent fishing and good (but cold) weather. 

If you’re going up for the large Browns, you picked the best time!  This post was supposed to be about chasing the Browns using the last big Caddis Hatch of the year (October Caddis) but got distracted with fall colors!  I'll get it posted soon as the Browns are on the move!

Hope you have a great trip Tex!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
Last Fall Color Photo and then I'm going to post my trip soon chasing the Browns around with the October Caddis Hatch.

Photo of Green Creek.  I backpacked into this area in spring for a quick trip.  Just beautiful views and good fishing, snow still on the ground and some mine artifacts in the area.  This photo is from a day trip I took in late October 2014.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 05:59:38 AM »
Little Walker lake is correct.  The lake is just beautiful in fall.  The trout were really stacked up at the inlet when I was there last, getting ready to spawn I beleave.

I've seen some photos a friend took a few years back, the brookies were stacked up like sardines in a can.

Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos, you are a gift to us all.

John

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 06:08:22 AM »
wshawkins, I concur with the other sentiments posted.  You've provided a beautiful array of photos, plenty enough to make me dreaming about next fall and a trip back to the SLR area.  This year we were too early and the fall colors had barely emerged.  Next year we go a week later as SLR closes on the 19th of October rather than the 13th.  You timed it right going up when you did.  Looking forward to you resuming your big, brown trout adventure with the October Caddis Hatch.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 06:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the nice compliments guys! 

I always felt that SLR closes too early in the season, the prime fall colors happen after the resort closes.  Nice to hear their staying open later for next season.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 06:24:52 AM »
October Caddis Hatch

The fall season is synonymous with big brown trout hunting! As a fall spawning trout, big browns are on the move and aggressive towards… well, just about anything but October Caddis should be high on their list.   ;D

The fall season is a stunning and beautiful time to visit the Eastern Sierra!  While the deciduous trees turn to their magical colors, the fall spawning brookies and brown trout transform into gorgeous hues of deep yellow, orange, and red.  Some days I am content to chase the smaller fish, enjoy the solitude, and watch the fall colors. 

Fall Colors

Fall Colors

Beautiful Colors of a Brookie

As an added bonus the kids are back in school and the summertime tourists are gone!  The woods, trails, lakes and streams are left for the serious anglers to enjoy in relative solitude.  You might just enjoy your favorite “fishing hole” all to yourself!

Backcountry Solitude

I fished wherever I could find the brown trout chasing the October Caddis Hatch.  This fall season finds me searching for the October Caddis Hatch and German Brown trout at San Joaquin River, Upper Owens, East Walker, June Loop, and a few others. 

Some tips I learned for Fall October Caddis Fishing:

Be aware of the sun. Fall shadows are long and nothing spooks a fish faster than your dark shadow cast  across the water.

Watch the water temperature. In the summer trout prefer to feed in the cool hours of morning and evening, but as the fall progresses they will turn increasingly to mid-day feeding or later.

Browns get increasingly territorial as spawning season approaches.  Fish your fly tight to any likely cover and crowd the fish if possible.

After October Caddis mate, the females will lay eggs in the water near the edges of the streams in early to late afternoon.  This was the best time to fish for the Brown trout! 

The brown trout will usually oblige your dry fly presentation, but if they seem a bit reluctant, allow you’re offering to sink and that will likely be all the encouragement they need.

My best fishing days were using a #8 October Caddis dry in the afternoon.  What I did on this trip was hike to the backcountry lakes in the early mornings and then hike back down and hit the browns later in the afternoons when the hatch took off.

When the October Caddis Hatch is on, you don’t just catch browns, you’ll get plenty of large rainbows and even the brookies will be fighting for your fly if they’re in the waters your fishing.  Most important, enjoy your time in the Eastern Sierra as I certainly did!

Next up is the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River…………………………………………………………

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 06:39:06 AM »
Middle Fork San Joaquin River

Near Devils Postpile National Monument and Reds Meadow, the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River normally offers good fishing, especially along the meadow sections.  I like fishing the San Joaquin River after Labor Day weekend when the shuttle has stopped running and cars are allowed to go back into this area.

Fishing is good all along the river.  One of the best sections I believe is the stretch of river below Minaret Falls.  Another good place to fish is away from most other anglers are downstream from the Devils Postpile.  Wherever you fish, you'll find Planted Rainbows and wild Browns and Brookies.

But with three years of draught, flows are low this late in the year and fishing was tough.  Not much in the way of moving water.  Pretty sad for the fish, hope they can make it through this winter.  Still, the trout were there and I made the hike in and they were biting on my October Caddis fly.  I observed a minor hatch going off around 2 pm.

Browns 8” to 14” were holding up in the pools of the Middle Fork San Joaquin River

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

Next up is my trip to the Upper Owens River……………………………………………

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »
Nice looking fish! That back country solitude shot is great!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
Thanks bj.  I like the color of the first Brown trout shown.  That was typical of the younger Browns I caught.  The bigger and older they were, the darker they become.

That back country solitude shot was taken about 2 weeks ago.  Third time up there this year (went spring, summer and fall) and have not run into anybody this year.  Now that’s “Back Country Solitude”.   ;D

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
Upper Owens River

Flows were running about 48 cfs which seemed slow to me, and water was running pretty clear but very weady.  October Caddis Hatch was on most afternoons which made for a great day of fishing!  Because of the weeds, a dry fly was perfect!  Actually the Rainbows were the largest trout in this section of the river.  But some browns were showing.

What I didn’t know is there is a lot of private land at the Upper Owens, which I found out promptly as I started fishing a nice section of the river.  I was wondering why nobody else was around fishing!  An angry rancher was ready to expel me off his property until he saw I was carrying around a bag of trash I was picking up as I was fishing.  Just like that he became friendly and I got permission to fish on his ranch, and what a cherry section of river fishing it was with three species of trout caught that afternoon.  Great day of fishing!  Just remember to get permission first before fishing on private property!

Browns 10” to 16” for the Upper Owens River

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

I’ll be heading to the East Walker River next……………………………………………….

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 06:36:07 AM »
East Walker River

The East Walker River was running only about 24 cfs (which is low) when I fished it but with the lower water temperatures it's actually not fishing too badly.  The best sections I fished were down below the bridge on the California side.  I used a dry/dropper rig for the most part.  East Walker River had a very good October Caddis Hatch in the afternoons that made my afternoons very successful.

Main thing to look for on the Browns in the East Walker River is they like to prowl the shoreline looking for an easy meal, and my October Caddis dry fly in size #8 set the table for them.  Good fishing here and good size too!  Several Browns in the 20” were caught & released here.

Browns 12” to 20” in East Walker River Browns

Brown Trout

Rush Creek in the June Lake Loop is next…………………………………………………………

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:14:03 AM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:59 AM »
Rush Creek

Bigger Brown trout were on the move for their fall spawn up from Grant Lake.  They were not quite spawning yet, but pre-spanning.  For browns on pre-spanning mode, they eat like crazy before spawning, which made my day.  Water was clear and flows above Grant Lake were running at about 30 cfs to 35 cfs which made it very fishable in Rush Creek.  Also hocked-up with some nice sized Rainbows up to 3 lbs. in this creek that went knockers for my October Caddis dry fly in adult and Pupa.

Rush Creek fished best for Browns in the afternoons or during when it got darker during cloud cover.  I had success at Grant Lake inlet and several spots along Rush Creek and near the Silver lake outlet.  My biggest browns of the trip were caught (and released) here, including a trophy 23”.

Browns 12” to 23” in Rush Creek

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »
All Brown trout I caught on this trip were caught on a barbless or crushed barb so I could release them unharmed.  Still, I had to keep two of the trout that bled on this trip.  If the trout bleeds, it's yours, so don't toss it back into the lake or stream as it will die.  If you care about our resource please be careful when releasing fish back into the lake and streams.

In the five afternoons of fishing for Browns during the October Caddis Hatch, I averaged maybe 4 hours fishing each outing with 27 browns caught over that time period.  So my total of 27 Browns in about 20 hours over five days of fishing was probably not great but still a good outing for the elusive Brown trout.  I also caught many Rainbows and a handful of Brookies too, so I was busy most afternoons.  I broke my record from last year when I brought in 25 nice Browns. 

I’m thinking nothing will beat that outing this year, but I would be wrong.  The next day I hiked deep in the back country at over 10,000 feet elevation that was supposed to have Browns and had a superb day of Brown fishing that even blew me away.  And it was in Yosemite!  I’ll share that trip report later this winter if anybody would like to see it.  Anyway it was a another great season , was in what little snow we had in my early trip where the views were out of this world, enjoyed great fishing in my summer trip and my fall season trip was full of great fall color, beautiful hikes in the back country and the best Brown trout fishing I ever experienced.  Here’s to all hopping you have a great 2015 season!

October Caddis that must have crawled up on me when I was fishing that I found on my person later.  It took a ride back to with me to where I was staying.   ;D

Another nice Brown Trout

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
Thanks for the great reports and all of the beautiful pictures this past season and even before. Papow

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Thanks papaw!  It actually was one of my easiest trips I made, as all the fishing holes were drive to waters.  Very little walking or hiking involved.  The one time I did some hiking was to get away from other fishermen at the East Walker, and that turned out to be good fortune for me as I found a nice large hole at the river bend.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
Looks like an excellent fall trip. It proves that with a little planning and getting the timing right decent browns are there to be caught. Thanks for posting your pictures and report.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 06:28:57 AM »

Looks like an excellent fall trip. It proves that with a little planning and getting the timing right decent browns are there to be caught. Thanks for posting your pictures and report.

Yeah, I've been studying this particular caddis hatch for the last couple of years and persistence has finally won!  Labor of love really.  Can't wait for next season. :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
Few of the Rainbows caught too on this trip.  They were averaging 17-18" and 1 1/2 lbs plus.

Rainbow

Rainbow

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
Check out how low Grant lake is.  Gives you an ideal how Rush Looked before they dammed up Grant Lake.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
That's Grant Lake Inlet.  You can drive right down there.  Good fishing spot and I had it all to myself. ;D