Author Topic: October Caddis Hatch  (Read 28383 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: October Caddis Hatch
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
Ever been to Green Creek?  This photo was taken near the trailhead parking, which takes you to many lakes and streams in the Hoover Wilderness back-country.

From the BJ historical file:
Green Creek campground, Deer Season 1942 or 43. Yours truly with camp neighbor's dog. You can just see the creek at right edge of photo. Couldn't resist.

" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »
Vintage bj! :twothumbs:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 06:40:25 AM »
Another look at Grant Lake

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »
Looking down towards the "Narrows" at Grant Lake.  Lowest I ever seen Grant Lake.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »
ďA Perfect DayĒ

Pine needles and fallen aspens leaves 4+ inches thick made it feel I was walking on a deep soft carpet.  I was early for the October Caddis hatch so took a nap.  If you look closely youíll see my body print where I lay.  Later, after the refreshing nap, the fishing was great!   ;D

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 06:26:24 AM »
More photos from my trip

Trail

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »
Great fishing spot!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
Another nice "Bow" from my fishing hole.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 06:33:53 AM »
Fall leaves in the Creek

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2014, 06:35:36 AM »
Nice Bow

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »
Your pics of the browns are wonderful.  Great fall trip, Sir.  Thank you for releasing all those fish back to their waters, too.  I've heard about a few fishermen bagging way more than their limits without any such concern.  Well, I guess it just shows the diversity of peoples approach to our resources, which is a shame as so much is taken for granted.

My anthology of your pictures is accumulating a wealth of beauty and a picturesque tally of my bucket list goals.  I for one will look forward to your winter report on fishing the waters in Yosemite for the mighty browns!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
Thanks saudust!  I donít mind people keeping a couple browns if you must; itís their right if they have a fishing license.  But most of these fisheries donít stock the brown trout no more, so when there gone there really gone, and nobody wants that.  What bothers me the most if the poor catch & release practice Iím seeing?  The treble hooks on the lures do major harm to fish, especially if itís on the upper mouth area.  If the fish is bleeding, itís your, donít throw it back as it will die.

I replaced all my treble hooks with a single hook on all my lures and have noticed no difference in hock-ups in the last few seasons.  Maybe I do a short step by step instructions with pictures this winter on replacing treble hooks with a single hook, may convert a few of you.   ;D  This is the way to go if you plan on releasing the fish!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
Looking up and there is the "Sierra Wave"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
More of the "Sierra Wave"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
You guys know what the Sierra Wave is right? 

The Sierra Wave is a cloud created by high winds that lift off the Sierra Nevada mountain range.  Sierra Waves form as the winds hit the Sierra Nevada and are forced to rise, causing water vapor to condense as it cools and forming the lenticular clouds.  These clouds can remain stationary for many hours.  Some say they look like saucers, and usually see them floating over Mono Lake.

Sierra Wave over Mono Lake area and Mono-Inyo Craters

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2014, 06:38:01 AM »
Rush Creek area

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2014, 06:45:52 AM »
Rush Creek in the June Lake Loop - Fishing for Browns

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
Last Brown trout I caught on my trip.  It was a great trip chasing the October Caddis Hatch.  Might try it next year but a little later in the fall as it should be more peak for the Browns after their spawn.  Thanks everyone for the nice comments!