Author Topic: October Caddis Hatch  (Read 29042 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
October Caddis Hatch
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »
October Caddis Hatch

When the first leaves fall off the trees at the beginning of fall in the Eastern Sierra, thatís when I begin preparing for the arrival of the giant tent winged caddis fly.  This is a major food source on the troutís menu from late September into November in the Eastern Sierra.  This is also their last large protein source of the season, and you can bet the big trout will key on this large caddis to prepare for winter.  What Iím referring to is the October Caddis.

October Caddis

The October Caddis has an orange body with dark red-brown wing to orange-brown wing and is one of the best insects for fall anglers to catch a trophy trout.  Over the years Iíve had mixed results targeting this hatch.  Itís only been in the last few seasons that Iíve learned to fish the hatch correctly.  The key success factors in fishing this hatch for me was understand their behavior, and then fishing with the right fly imitations to grab their attention.

October Caddis are found in any moving waters in the Eastern Sierra, but a good place to observe them is at Owens River when the flows start to drop in fall, on the EF Walker River, Rush Creek and even at Rock Creek .  Youíll be able to see their stick cases as the level drops, attached to rocks or downed trees.  You may even see them crawl out of the water by the hundreds during the hatch.

October Caddis crawling out of the water

Peak activity of hatching is usually from late afternoon until about dark.  That being said, when the hatch is on, the fish key in and will feed on the October Caddis all day.  During the early phase of this hatch, I like to fish using a big caddis pupa fished under an indicator.  Iíve found this fly rig to be a great strategy for catching good numbers of fish.  The larva and pupa stages of these insects are when their most vulnerable and big trout catch on to this very quickly.

My Favorite Flyís to use during a hatch:

Larva October Caddis

Pupa October Caddis

Adult October Caddis

Once I know the hatch is in full swing, Iíll switch to a dry dropper rig.  Using an adult October Caddis dry fly with a pupa pattern dropped 18-24 inches off the back does a great job for both stages.  This is a great strategy to use and itís paid me many dividends (Fish dividends).  Experimenting with a gentle jerk on your dry fly on the surface can often trigger aggressive takes.

Iíll be heading up the Eastern Sierra this week for hopefully some great October Caddis Hatch bite.  Iíll be targeting the big browns as usual, but plan also on visiting some of the backcountry lakes if the weather cooperates.  Iíve been hitting some big wind the last couple of trips which has made the
fishing difficult.  Iíll report back if anything exciting happens!  Wish me luck.

Nice Brown Trout caught during ďOctober Caddis HatchĒ from last fall

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: October Caddis Hatch
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
Hawk, good luck; tight lines. Thanks as usual for all the info you bestow on us. I've always found your info to be right on.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
Good luck on your trip. If the weather holds out I'm going to try and get a backpacking trip into the Forks of the Kern before the roads close. You can bet that I will have a few caddis patterns with me.

larry

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
Thanks for the insight, flyfishing for couple of years, still @ a learning curve. Never thought to match the hatch with two different stages of the caddis development.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the insight, flyfishing for couple of years, still @ a learning curve. Never thought to match the hatch with two different stages of the caddis development.

Yes, it sounds odd but itís a killer combo, at least last fall it worked great.  Itís an easy hatch to identify as the bugs are ďLargeĒ and the fish feeding on them go into a frenzy.

One more thing is the size of the fly to use.  Because Iím going after the larger trout, I use a bigger fly.  I use #8 mostly, but never smaller than a #12. 

Now if I have any luckÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ..  :hiking2::fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
need pictures after the trip

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
Back from my trip.  Bet I passed ďRetiredĒ on the way home as he was heading up to the Eastern Sierra.  Hope he has a great trip.  Itís getting a bit cold now in the Eastern Sierra, with morning temps from 20* to 32*, but warming up nicely by afternoon.  Still was very breezy most days, but hit no wet weather this trip.

As for the October Caddis Hatch, was harder than I thought finding them bugs, but I donít give up easy.  Give me a few days to upload the pictures to Photobucket and Iíll show you with pictures how I did.  Until then Iíll post a few Fall Color pictures as the fall colors were spectacular again this year.  Enjoy!

Fall Colors in the June Lake Loop

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
Welcome back Bill! Can't wait for you're trip report and autumn pictures. The two that you posted where aw some. Morning coffee and your posts are special.
Thanks  :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:46 AM »
Thanks Trev Dog.  More autumn pictures with your coffee.  These were taken about a week ago on Virginia Lakes Rd near the Dunderberg Meadow turnoff.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
Fall colors were beautiful  in the Lee Vining area too.

Lee Vining Canyon

Lee Vining Creek

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
More Fall Colors!!!!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »
Autumn Photos of Silver Lake Resort area.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
June Lake Loop was looking good!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
More fall Colors from Silver Lake area.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
From the Tioga Pass area

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
Another nice one from Silver Lake Resort area

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
Silver Lake Resort at the boat dock.  The resort was already closed for the season during this visit.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
Bill, love your boat pictures at Silver Lakes Resort! You nail it every year!  :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
Silver Lake Resort always seems to have some of the best fall color on the June Lake loop.  Probably canít tell but the wind was just howling, like most days this trip.  Notice there are no fishermen fishing and this is one of the top spots to fish Silver Lake!  Just too windy!  But this was the year for leaf peepers as the season just keeps going on, maybe to November even with the high winds they have been having.  Old-timers and locals said they have not seen this happen in many years.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 06:47:32 AM »
Wind was blowing strong at Silver Lake.  Some nice fall color on the other side of the lake.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
Another quiet day on "Rock Creek's Message Board".  Another look at Silver Lake Resort.  So much fall color you almost cannot see the cabin!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
June Lake Loop near Grant Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
Fall colors looking good near Grant Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 06:41:45 AM »
Near Grant lake - June Lake Loop

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
Here is a good fishing lake with great fall color!  Anybody know the name of this lake and location?