Author Topic: DWP new plan for Owens Lake.  (Read 3606 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: DWP new plan for Owens Lake.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
I saw this happening in h e last few yrs(trenching a grid across the lake bed) and thought that the price of whatever mineral had risen enough to make it profitable enough to mine it. I guess I was wrong as a friend in Reno this year said there was a lot of pressure to mitigate the dust of many years. Saving water is a good thing. I hope they are right. With all the solar farms going up; maybe they can use that power for desalinization plants as most of the educated civilized world has gone to. Don't mean to say that CA politicians are uncivilized. :catfight:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:46:59 AM »
my brain isn't getting this... to me, tilling up soil leads to more exposed soil... which will dry out by summers end... and more soil is more dust??  not less dust??
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
If tilling the lake bed is now the solution for the dust problem, why wasn't it done years ago....As far as I'm concerned its just a excuse for the DWP to get more water...I don't think the dust problem will ever be solved and this method is probably just a band aid for a problem that will never be solved...

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
What a bunch of BS.

They are relying on our collective amnesia or ignorance.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »
As I've said before,  we'll get de salt plants about the same time we start using something other than gas in our cars.  We won't do it until we HAVE to. 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:43:45 AM »
DWP and Los Angeles city council are trying to squeeze every last drop of water out of Owens Valley.  Thatís always been their goal.  But if you read the whole agreement, if this plan fails and dust is not controlled, they are required to re-flood the tilled area where the dust is blowing.

So letís see if tilling is the solution to the dust problem.  I do have my doubts on this plan.   >:(
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:14 AM »
I have a good idea, let the Owens River flow freely into the lake. Might take a very long time but it will eliminate the dust problem... I read somewhere a long time ago that it would take 25 years to fill the lake if the river flowed into it...

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Roy,  I think at a proper flow,  it would take many years to fill the lake.  The lake can't just be flooded.  Not that dwp would care about the river ecosystem,  but I think I remember a lot of dead fish when parts of the lower river were rewatered,  prolly due to too much mud and sediment and oxygen issues that came with too much water at one time. 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...