Author Topic: End of season 2014  (Read 4167 times)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
End of season 2014
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
Left for Bishop Thursday afternoon, stopped in Olancha at the Ranch House cafe, always say someday Iím going to eat there, someday finally arrived. Food was good, nothing special, but the hospitality was great. They invited us in to watch football like we were one of the locals, real nice group of people.
Friday morning we headed up to the Virginias, they had gotten a small dusting of snow the day before. The sun was out but it was pretty cold and windy most of the day. The fishing at Little Virginia was excellent as usual, pretty much nonstop on PW`s , but the fish were all small 10-12Ē. Fished Big Virginia in the afternoon by the inlet and had 4 fish out of 6 casts, then the sun went behind the clouds and the bite shutdown immediately.

Saturday morning we drove up to RCL, once again the fish where biting but the size was on the small side. Had lunch at Toms place then drove up to the loop. We fished Silver Lake but the wind was pretty wicked and we only managed one fish. Finished the afternoon at Gull Lake and caught a couple of slightly better size fish, then went back to Bishop for some beer and pizza.
Sunday morning we fished PVR, the weather was beautiful but the fishing was slow and the few we caught were once again on the small side.

This trip was the latest I have gone up, we usually go a week or two earlier and thought Iím glad we got to fish little Virginia, I was very surprised at the lack of snow. Letís hope this El NiŮo brings above average snow fall this winter.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: End of season 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
You can sure see winter is well on it's way. Still sounds like it was a great way to close the season. Thanks for posting.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:44:55 AM »
Looks cold, makes me shiver just looking at your photos!  Thanks for sharing.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
It's kind of funny how easy the perspective of my mind can change things. Looking at the pictures again and a couple remind me of cold crisp mornings having a great time fishing and catching trout. But those first two with the snow, frost, and shadows make me think of cold stiff hands, frozen ears, and stomping feet. Days like that and my mind starts to wonder what they are serving and if the coffee is hot back in camp.  :cold:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:58:33 PM by Gary C. »

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »
they do look cold.... wonderful, but cold..  the hot coffee might even need some added antifreeze):

but looks like a great trip!  glad you got it in!!!!!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:11 PM »
Great shots Bill, thanks for posting them.

Sounds as good a way as any to end the season.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Bill, looks like you and your friends got in a great trip. Good you were indoors at days end. Sounds like you ate well. Thanks for your report as it was for sure at the end of the season!  :cold:

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
Nice report...........Glad you were able to sneak in one more! Here's to a quick and snowy winter........cheers
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the TR and pictures, Bill.  That shot of Gull lake with the sun setting in the crevice of the mountains and with that one lone boat on the lake surely is a signature sign off for the year.  Gorgeous pic of Silver Lake and Carson Peak.  Much appreciated.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »
I have fished RCL while it was snowing in early November, but I think it was colder this last trip at little Virginia with the wind gusts. Every time the wind would blow the chill would get into your bones, if it wouldn't have been for a very active bite we would have moved on much sooner. :cold:

The sun setting at Gull lake is always beautiful, but that Saturday it meant I wont be back her again till spring. :(

I praying for lots of snow and counting the days till I can get back up there.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
In the picture of RCL it looks like an ice sheet had formed. I had a friend fall on one of those shoreline ice sheets and break through. Ya, he was cold. If you follow the ridge line in that same picture, you can see the Sun shining down on Half Moon Pass. The gateway to heaven. Great pictures and trip!