Author Topic: 2015 trip #1  (Read 2904 times)

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
2015 trip #1
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »
Went up to Bishop Jan. 2nd - 4th. Stayed at Toms Place for 2 nights. The fishing was really good in the slow water, just before the river turns to the Reservoir. We brought the bikes for the trip in from the upper power plant. Only took about 8-10 min. of easy pedaling to make it out to our spot. Never made it out before 9:00 am because it was just to darn cold. Warmed up to about 45-50 by noon though. Most fish were around 2lbs. I would guess. Nice, fat, strong 16- 18 inch Rainbows. I wish they would stock all our lakes like they do PVR. We usually do really well there. The creek was frozen with water running under the ice. Really pretty. Not much snow until you get up to the gate. Icy conditions on Mammoth contributed to my Nephew's trip tp Mammoth hospital. kid hit the ice so hard it caused huge blood clot in his thigh. There's some name for it, but I forgot what it is. Anyway, he had emergency surgery at the Mammoth hospital and is now home recovering. Atleast we were up there so he had some family to visit him while he was laid up. Luckily he's young and will fully recover. Mammoth hospital is really great! The took great care of him. Good to be up there! going back 1-23 thru 1-26. We need more snow! There's some, but not even close to where we need to be. Come on storms!!

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 trip #1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »
Keith, Sorry to hear of the lad's issues. Does hematoma, come to mind? If so I had two in my throat last yr that almost ended my fishing/camping/backpacking/life...*god forbid Glamping*(i'd rather be done)
Nice to hear he is on the mend! Also kudos to the Mammoth folks.
PVR does provide in it's own quirky nature where the crick joins the main body... Glad you got some quality time in and I see you will have some more in the new yr!  THANKS for posting! Unusually cold here...26low high 35! :cold:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
My Nephew had Compartment Syndrome. Had to cut him from hip to knee to release the pressure.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
EEEEEEYOOOOWWW! Sorry.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »
Sounds like you had good weather and got some nice fish, sorry about your nephew, that sounds painful.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »
 wow!  nothing like some excitement added to your trip!   good to hear your nephew is on the mend:)

sound like nice fishing tho...  yay!

i would bet that with all of the year round sports in the area, mammoth hospital is one busy place:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »
Nice fishing trip!  Sorry to hear your Nephew got hurt, but hes recovering.  I was just fishing our local lake here in Orange County (Irvine Lake) with friends and the Rainbows we were catching were also averaging about 2 lbs. or so and we were talking how they should be stocking them that big in the Eastern Sierra instead of the little 8-10 fish we were seeing. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."