Poll

Which Trip Report would you like to see?

Bennettville
2 (5.1%)
Bishop Creek Canyon
11 (28.2%)
Dunderberg Mill & Mine Sites
5 (12.8%)
Fern Lake
3 (7.7%)
Green Treble Lake
5 (12.8%)
Log Cabin Mine
3 (7.7%)
Yosemite Lake with Brown Trout
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Trip Report  (Read 12117 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Trip Report
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »
Not sure if this is a brilliant ideal or a stupid one.  But have quite a treasure trove of reports that I have never posted.  So instead of posting them all, I thought why not take a poll and see what might have the most interest with “Rock Creek’s Message Board” members.  So please vote on one, two or up to three reports you like to see posted.  Of course, no vote’s means I get to take the winter off, which also is fine by me. ;D

A little information on each trip:

1)   “Bennettville” (History) is a former settlement and ghost town in the Tioga Pass area located on Mine Creek.  Mining began here in 1860 but didn’t really get going until The Great Sierra Consolidated Mining Company bought this claim and others nearby in 1878.  This is Part 2 of the Great Sierra Mine Historic Site (see part 1, The Great Sierra Mine http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=359.0).  Easy hike to this ghost town with a couple of buildings still standing, mining equipment and a mine tunnel (Adit) to look at.  I’ll take you through the history of this ghost town (with old photos) and bring you up to date what’s to see today.  Good fishing in Mine Creek and nearby lakes with great views.  After visiting Bennettville, I caught over 50 fish in Mine Creek.

2)   “Bishop Creek Canyon” (Fishing) was a great three day fishing trip for me.  After I dropped off some friends at Bishop Pass Trailhead, I went on three separate day hikes to some gorgeous backcountry lakes filled with feisty fish, catching four different species up to 18”.  For the fisher folks, it just doesn’t get any better than this!

3)   “Dunderberg Mill & Mine Sites” (History) is a ghost town on Dunderberg Mountain.  This mining operation had its own mill, two town sites (one at the mill and one up higher up the mountain) and dug eight adit’s up to 1500 feet into the mountain.  Built in 1870, I go through the history with old photos and what’s left today.  Lots to see here if you know what to look for.  Great views on top of Dunderberg Mountain of the Green Creek Drainage and lakes.  When this mine was abandoned, a miner named Ed Page worked this claim until the late 1950’s and built two cabins for himself, one for summer and the other for winter living.  There both still standing today and oh what great glorious views he had!

4)   “Fern Lake”, (Fishing) is an alpine lake tucked in a small valley above the June Lake Loop.  This is a Brookie Lake and they are easy to catch, but the top reason to go here is for the spectacular views from high up on the trail of Silver, Gull, June Lakes and Mono Craters.  Also the wildlife was friendly here! (More on that latter).

5)   “Green Treble Lake” (Fishing) is a pristine alpine mountain lake located in the Harvey Monroe Hall Natural Area in the Hoover Wilderness.  If you ever read any of “John Barbier” books on fishing the Eastern Sierra, you would know that this lake is one of his favorites.  Not hard to see why if you ever visited this gem of a lake.  Have Brookies and feisty Kamloop Rainbows to fish for and lots of solitude with super views.

6)   “Log Cabin Mine”, (History) which first started operation back in 1890, was the first gold discovery in Lee Vining.  This mine operated until 1970 so buildings are still in good shape and lots to see here.  This mine became famous for the gold it produced and for the harsh winters the miners had to endure.  I will go through the history of this gold mine with old photos and show you what’s left to see today.

7)   “Yosemite Lake with Brown Trout”!  (Fishing) At well over 10,000 feet elevation, this Yosemite Lake was the best fishing I ever had for the elusive Brown Trout.  This was my last trip last year in Late October and what a way to end the fishing season!  I’ll name this lake and location if it gets enough votes.  I’m sure some of you already know what lake I’m referring too.

Other Trips that might interest some:

A)   “Upper McCabe Lake”, (Fishing) which is south of Shepherd Crest in Yosemite.  Take the water taxi from Saddlebag Lake for the shortest hike.  Went twice this year, so you know the fishing was outstanding.  Was going to submit this Trip Report but I believe “Tex” did this trip too this year so I’ll let him report on Upper McCabe Lake.  Thought I put that out there. 

B)   “John Muir Trail”.  (Media) Finished the complete “John Muir Trail” through hike for the third time last summer!  The trail started in Yosemite National Park, and continues 215 miles through the Ansel Adams Wilderness, Sequoia National Park, Kings Canyon National Park, and ended at the highest peak in continental United States, Mount Whitney at 14,496 ft.  This time I took my time and completed it in 30 days over 3 summers, which included several layover days for fishing Golden Trout lunkers lakes in Sequoia National Park.  Best fishing/backpacking trip ever!

C)   “Volcanic Tableland Petroglyphs”.  (History) Just north of Bishop is one of the best displays of Petroglyphs I seen on a nice maintained driving loop.  The Petroglyphs in this area are thought to be up to 8,800 years old and were made by the ancestors of the native Paiute-Shoshone people who still inhibit the valley.  Chidago, Chalfant, Fish Slough and Red Canyon Petroglyphs sites were easy access from the road and a delight to see.

D)   “Arrowhead, Skelton, Barney, Red, and the two Woods Lakes”.  (Fishing) These lakes are part of the Upper Mammoth Lakes basin.  From the Duck Pass Trail, this loop trail never disappoints for the fishing or the views.  Six lakes with easy Brook and Rainbows fishing makes this one of my favorite loop hikes.

E)   “Jordan Hot Springs”.  (History) Went here for the fishing, stayed for the hot springs.  Great history for Jordan Hot Springs which starts long before the coming of the white man.  Native Americans used this area for summer encampments for hundreds of years before John Jordan blazed a trail in 1861 for miners traveling over the Sierra to get to the latest gold strike.  Today you can see the Jordan Hot Springs Resort with old cabins; pack station, cow camps and pillars in the springs were the docks were built.  It’s now part of the Golden Trout Wilderness.

F)   “The Ghost Town of Bodie”.  (History)  The granddaddy of all ghost towns!  A town frozen in time and in a “state of arrested decay” as they like to say.  This mining town from the late 1800’s in its peak had 10,000 people with 65 saloons bustled with families, robbers, miners, store owners, gunfighters, prostitutes with numerous brothels and ‘houses of ill repute’, gambling halls and opium dens – an entertainment outlet just about for everyone.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:22:35 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:50:25 AM »
I didn't see the all the above button.... :clap:   Thanks for all  the great pics and reading. Love it.
Hardly think it's a dumb idea! Pretty good actually. You have lots of personal knowledge and all of us here seem to greatly relish your sharing what you've seen and done.  It's a good way to satisfy someone's curiosity of a certain area if you've been there. I'll be happy to read any and all.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:53:26 AM by charlie »

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
It's a GREAT IDEA!  :clap: Cant wait see your new adventures!

Gypsy Wind

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
I didn't see the all the above button.... :clap:   Thanks for all  the great pics and reading. Love it.
Hardly think it's a dumb idea! Pretty good actually. You have lots of personal knowledge and all of us here seem to greatly relish your sharing what you've seen and done.  It's a good way to satisfy someone's curiosity of a certain area if you've been there. I'll be happy to read any and all.

Ditto!!
I'd be happy with any of your stories, because you never disappoint and each is always a great adventure.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
I did do Upper McCabe. My 2nd arm is in a sling for 10 more days. Hard to type let alone fill out all the damn medical forms as I'm right handed... It will come soon enough. Let me say it was fruitful and thoughtful. All the good thanks to Hawk! :twothumbs:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »
Hmmm, there's not one I wouldn't read (and re-read).  The one TR that would keep you busy all winter (and us, the collective readers) with pictures and multitudes of fishing lakes would be John Muir Trail, so I'll make that my first pick.  Besides my facination with the history of the man and his love of nature, which I would hope you'd inject as well, a detailed account of your 30-day clambering over 3 summers sounds like another bucket list token being thrown into my pail.

Second is more of a tough choice, but I'll default to ......................Green Treble Lake for fishing and Dunderberg Mill & Mine Sites for History.  Hey, you said we could pick three :clap: :clap: :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
I'd love to see the Jordan Hot Springst trip.  I'm guessing you went in from Blackrock TH?   Always wondered how the fishing was in the creeks along the way.

Thanks again for all your fantastic reports and informative narratives.

John

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
"Please sir,  May I have some more?

'All of the above' is my 1st, 2nd and  3rd choice.........

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
"Please sir,  May I have some more?

'All of the above' is my 1st, 2nd and  3rd choice.........

wshawkins, I think this says it all!
Can't wait till you take the people in this forum on your next thread.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!  When I posted this Poll, I was only expecting the members to vote on a favorite trip, not to comment unless it was on the “Other Trips” not on the poll.  Love P A C quote, “Please sir, May I have some more?  Classic!  Yeah Trev Dog, that says it all!  Thanks!

The Poll is still open, so let me know what trip reports (up to 3) you like to see?  The voting is anonymous, so it’s your secret vote unless you leave a response.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
I did do Upper McCabe. My 2nd arm is in a sling for 10 more days. Hard to type let alone fill out all the damn medical forms as I'm right handed... It will come soon enough. Let me say it was fruitful and thoughtful. All the good thanks to Hawk! :twothumbs:

Tex, I hope you have some photos of your surgery on your arms in a sling, maybe not too so funny now but once you start powering up them trails with your pack on you can laugh about it then.  It will only get better my friend!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »
Hmmm, there's not one I wouldn't read (and re-read).  The one TR that would keep you busy all winter (and us, the collective readers) with pictures and multitudes of fishing lakes would be John Muir Trail, so I'll make that my first pick.  Besides my facination with the history of the man and his love of nature, which I would hope you'd inject as well, a detailed account of your 30-day clambering over 3 summers sounds like another bucket list token being thrown into my pail.

Second is more of a tough choice, but I'll default to ......................Green Treble Lake for fishing and Dunderberg Mill & Mine Sites for History.  Hey, you said we could pick three :clap: :clap: :clap:

Saudust, I posted the first two sections of my John Muir Trail in the Eastern Sierra Photos (2013 and 2014).  But the last 10 day trip was the best as I hiked/fished through a hundred lakes and streams saw countless wildlife, best ever fishing for “Large” goldens lunkers, and possible the best views due to perfect weather during this trip.  I took over 500-600 photos, just need to narrow it down to just the best photos for sharing.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
I'd love to see the Jordan Hot Springst trip.  I'm guessing you went in from Blackrock TH?   Always wondered how the fishing was in the creeks along the way.

Thanks again for all your fantastic reports and informative narratives.

John

John - Yes, Blackrock Mountain Trailhead is where you go in at.  Easy hike in to the springs but tough hike out on your return trip due to elevation gain.  Backpackers got a name for this type of hike-like backwards hike or something similar sounding?

Fishing was between Casa Viejo and Jordan Hot Springs for very special fish on Nine Mile Creek.  You find Kern River Rainbows in the lower portions of the creek near where the Kern River meets.  Do check out Nine Mile Creek Falls nearby - just beautiful!

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
It's called and "upside down" hike I think.

John

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
Yeah, that's the name I was looking for. Thanks John.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:09:38 PM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
Peak preview of Bennettville.

Bennettville Town Site after a short 1 mile hike.

Close up look of the floor boards - Square nails.  They stopped making square nails in about 1890, so if you see them you know the structure is old.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 07:27:39 AM »
Peak preview of Bishop Creek Canyon:

This trip was all about the fishing, and boy did Bishop Creek Canyon deliver!  Considering it was in the middle of August, way better than I was expecting.  During my three days of fishing, saw only one other fisherman.  It was like my own personnel fishing lakes!

Bishop Creek North Fork - No hiking needed as the fish were everywhere
[/URL]

Golden Trout were to be had!

Views were pretty good too!  Sierra Crest and another great fishing lake.  Any guesses?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:26:59 PM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 07:07:50 AM »
Peak preview of Dunderberg Mill & Mine Sites.  Most of the adit’s were flooded, a problem the miners had when working this mine.  Up higher in the mountain, it was beautiful in the forests where the miner cabins stood.  Even higher up were more mine tunnels and cabin near the top of the mountain.  The wind was strong!

Flooded Mine Adit

View from Miners cabin

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:06:37 AM »
Peak of the Fern Lake Trip:

View from the trail of Silver lake

Brookie out of Fern lake

Winter at Fern lake

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 06:56:31 AM »
Hmm, Fern Lake next October for Brookies, got it.

Great teaser pics, wshawkins.  Every story you have you could write and have us all glued to all of them.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 07:17:51 AM »
Teaser on Green Treble Lake.  After several creek crossing and cross-country travel over pristine alpine country, you come to your piece of paradise.

Stream Crossing

Green Treble lake

The Booty

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
Peak into the Log Cabin Mine

Log Cabin – Actually used as a “Meat House”

Ore Conveyor to storage hopper and first “Rock Crusher”

Old Truck

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:20 AM »
Preview of Yosemite Lake with Brown Trout: 

I always caught Brown Trout here but never like this outing!  The last time they stocked the Browns in this lake was over 60 years ago but there still going strong.  Have great spawning grounds at both the inlets and outlets, even in a drought year.  Watched the Browns doing their thing during my lunch break.  Had about foot or two of ice around the lake shore when I first arrived, so it was a cold morning.  I usually catch equal numbers of Browns to Brooks, with no skinny fish observed.  But this time for the first time I caught a third species that really surprised me.

Mining claims are close by for the adventure type who likes looking over mine artifacts over 130 years old.

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

Lakes Outlet

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 06:31:09 AM »
Another nice teaser.  Fun stuff!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »
Another nice teaser.  Fun stuff!

Yeah saudust, fun stuff!  Surprised this brown trout lake didn’t get the most votes.  How many brown trout lakes do you know that’s its almost guaranteed you’ll catch a brown trout, and probably many more?  But you need to get your hiking books on for this trip. :hiking2:

Looks like I’ll post a trip report soon, as long as Photobucket don’t give me any problems.