Author Topic: Death Valley Trip Ideas?  (Read 4692 times)

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Death Valley Trip Ideas?
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:39:39 PM »
Thinking of a short overnight or two night trip to Death Valley this year. Any recommendations of what to do/not do? Best place to stay, etc...? Not really a camping trip, more of a hotel stay/sight seeing quick trip.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:41:29 PM by Claremont Dude »
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Death Valley Trip Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »
hah!  i was thinking of taking a road trip there myself...   zabriskie point is closed until march 31 for repairs,,  and that is making me hesitate on going,,,,  that would be a must see on my list:).   

desert USA. is a good resource to use..  check them out! :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »
My only suggestion is don't go in August.

Early spring would be nice though.

Sorry, a waste of band width I suppose.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
Furnace Creek Inn has a nice restaurant. It ain't cheap but good food and view. We spent a couple days doing self guided tours in that area. Saw a lot of neat stuff. That's where the "Pup Fish Pickers" got their name! Not many flowers that year.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
We were there the week on NYE.  We have been to DV four times and have camped and stayed in DV and have also stayed in Lone Pine to visit too.  In DV, I would recommend Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells for a hotel.  In LP, I would recommend the Best Western or Dow Villa. There is so much to see that you won't be able to see it all...so pick what you would like to see in advance.  Have fun!
The creek is waiting...

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
I've never been but always wanted to go. If I were to plan a trip it would be during the wild flower season. Do a Google search for Death Valley wild flowers, lots of info and pictures.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:20:18 PM »
Death Valley is huge, so don’t try to see it all on this visit.  If you need ideals, stop by the Furnace Creek Visitor Center.  Good place to stop by to pick-up maps, trail guides and other information on the park, watch the excellent 20 minute film providing a good introduction to the park.  Some of my favorite stops to visit are Dante’s View, Badwater, The Racetrack, Scotty’s Castle and the many mines/mills in this National Park.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 11:28:16 PM »
i stayed at best western a few years ago.  great hotel, but fyi,  it is ( or at least was then ) on the edge of cell reception.  there was reception in the loby, but not my room.   so if that is something important to you, you would want to stay at dow villa:).   
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Time to mull them all over and plan a trip!
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »
Having grown up in the green, wet and cold east, DV and the surrounding terrain  is another planet.
Zabriskie point is an incredible view, and  the machine that replaced the 20 mule team borax wagon is incredible. I like out of the way , strange places and the ghost town of Rhyolite and the Bottle House fits that quite well. Scotty's Castle has an incredible story and just amazing  pieces of architecture and design.  Last time we went, (2013)  we camped in Furnace Wells at the end of Sept.  It was still 95 at 1 am.  I think in another life I was a desert rat.  If you eat outside anywhere, watch out for the ravens! They're thieves and pretty intimidating and bold.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:01 AM »
I think you should go in the beginning of July for a few weeks. That way your spot will open up for CLUB. I bet Corey would not mind that !!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
I think you should go in the beginning of July for a few weeks. That way your spot will open up for CLUB. I bet Corey would not mind that !!

Maybe I should put my site up for the highest bidder to finance my trip to DV?

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:04 AM »
You should get a bunch for your great spot.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.