Author Topic: Rock Creek lake area  (Read 815 times)

Fisha

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=6dbc6fa29ead73562fbe7db531851a7b&action=register
Rock Creek lake area
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:41:59 AM »
Hey all
New to the site. Headed up to French camp May 31-Jun 3. Haven't fished the eastern Sierra's before, and mostly fish the salt. Anyways, looking for a few pointers to lessen the learning curve for the trip. Will be bringing up a small boat with outboard, and plan on fishing Rock Creek Lake and Convict lake. Also plan on fishing the creek near French Camp, maybe Tuff Camp, or any other recommended areas along the creek. Also plan to spend a day hiking along Little Lakes Valley trail, and fishing some of those lakes.  I've read as much as I can find on the internet, so was hoping I could get some pointers from anyone willing to share. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to a great trip!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek lake area
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
Water is still cold, so fish may still be lethargic.  Slow down your presentations.  For Rock Creek and Convict Lakes, I like to troll using streamers with a trailer midge or nymph behind it.  Also works good is trolling with Lead Core with 4-6 colors, Rapalas, Tasmanian Devils and Needlefish.  For mid-day use Inflated Night Crawlers, Power Eggs or any Power bait.

Catching stocked fish in Rock Creek is very easy.  Salmon Eggs has always worked, or tease them with a dry fly!

For Little Lakes Valley fishing, use light gear and line.  Bubble/fly combo works for me.  Use no more than 4lb line and 2lb leader with #16 fly will get you into the many trout up there. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Fisha

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=6dbc6fa29ead73562fbe7db531851a7b&action=register
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
Thanks for the response.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a streamer? Also, if I don't have leadcore, could I tie a torpedo sinker onto mainline, then tie leader with lure to other end?

I should add, I only will be using spinning tackle. I am excited about trying to fly and bibe technique on it though!

I'm going to a local tackle store this week to see if they sell any flies, if not, are there any tackle shops in bishop that do. Again, thanks for the response and the help.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:00:48 PM by Fisha »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Streamer is a large fly, like a Woolly Bugger or Matuka.  Streamers are very effective at Rock Creek Lake when trolling.  Set your speed at about 1 mph and add split shots as needed to reach proper depth.

Bubble/fly combo is the preferred way to go for the lakes and streams in the Eastern Sierra.  Also using spinning pole/reel combo allows you to switch easily to lures or plastics.

Several good tackle shops in Bishop.  I usually stop at Reaganís Sporting Goods if I need anything. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Fisha

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
Awesome.....thank you so much!