Author Topic: Bishop Creek Canyon  (Read 82963 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 06:49:55 AM »
Another picture of North Lake.  North lake makes a good lake for fly fishing!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »
Creek out of North lake which is part of the North Fork of Bishop Creek, where the headwaters are way up at Piute Pass/Piute Lake.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:55:58 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2015, 07:04:07 AM »
Piute Pass Trail & Lamarck Lakes Trailheads.  The parking for these trailheads is strangely about Ĺ mile down the road unless youíre camping at North lake Campground?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:29 AM »
One trailhead takes you to the Lamarck Lakes and perhaps to Wonder Lakes, while the other takes you to Loch Leven & Piute Lake, plus if your backpacking, to the great Humphreys Basin for some great Golden Trout fishing.  A third trail takes you to Grass Lake, a nice easy hike thatís great for families.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2015, 06:32:19 AM »
In Bishop Creek off of Hwy 168 is this display of a 54" redwood pipeline first used in 1908.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »
54" Redwood Pipeline

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2015, 06:34:05 AM »
One more look

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »
My husband and I did the hike to the treasure lakes a couple of years ago. It was a Beautiful hike but I gotta say by the time we got to the lakes I thought I was going to die .It was the first time elevation ever got to me during a hike. I actually got vertigo on the 4th crossing and had to crawl across the bridge not to mention the headache from hell and then there is going back UP HILL ! I would do it again though ,next time I am going slower and stopping for breaks along the way, something we did not do the 1st time.
The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
Corey Baer, you really had it bad!  Worst hike to get elevation sickness with uphill climb out.  I agree that itís a beautiful hike, highly recommend.

Worst one for me was maybe about ten years ago at one of my secret fishing spots, at about 10,000 feet elevation and only Ĺ mile from my truck.  Hit me bad, where I had trouble even standing.  Had my dog with me (Dylan) and had him pull me to my vehicle.  I must of looked like a drunk man walking his dog if anybody seen me!  I trained him to pull for his exercise and to pull my girls in their wagon and skate boards if you know what I mean.  Heís a big strong 85 lb. Golden Retriever and loves pulling anybody along.  Anyway he was my hero that day and for dinner he got a steak and a large meaty bone for desert!

Dylan, my little man

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »
Update on Gracie.  She's doing great!  I don't think I've met a more loving dog such as this.  Such a excellent temperament.  I have taken her on a few local trails and is a great little hiker, just gets a little excited when somebody walks by.  Just a little more training needed.  Was about 8 lbs underweight when we got her and put maybe 5 lbs back on her.  She's looking great is suck a happy pup.

Gracie in our backyard ready for her training session!  Lets go Dad!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »
In Bishop Creek on Hwy 168 is a plaque of the Cardinal Gold Mine, probable the best know mine in the area.  You can see the mine from the road or you can hike to it to see it closer.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2015, 06:54:06 AM »
Looking at the Cardinal Mine from Hwy 168

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2015, 06:57:12 AM »
Next to the mine is the Cardinal Village Resort, which is nestled in an aspen grove at the edge of the tiny community of Aspendell. The Village was built at the turn of the century to serve the gold mine. After the mine closed the Cardinal Village began serving fishermen and their families. its really beautiful in fall here!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2015, 06:59:21 AM »
The Cardinal Gold Mine was worked on a large scale during the early 1900s and again from 1933 to 1938. It has an estimated total production of more than $1 million.  The mine shut down for good in 1938.

Cardinal Gold Mine 1938

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
Another photo of the Cardinal Gold Mine from 1938

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
We hiked up to the mine as well , so cool!  There is a really Beautiful waterfall up there. I remember Cardinal Village store ,its a great old store and there was this kid working there maybe 13 .I was so impressed with him he did it all ,worked the register ,was telling people where to go to hike all I could think was what a great place to grow up .
The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
The short hike up to the mine is worth seeing.  Quite a bit of the ruins remain.  All the original buildings from the mining times have been converted into cabins and a store now known as the Cardinal Village Resort.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Mine Adit

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
Looking down one of the mine shafts.  The deposits have been developed to a depth of 600 feet in this mine.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2015, 07:44:09 AM »
As Corey Baer said, there is a beautiful waterfall nearby.  Local told me itís called Goldmine falls.  Sounds good to me!  It can be quite spectacular during the spring thaw.  This was taken in the middle of August and still looking decent.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 06:48:59 AM »
Photos of Bishop Creek Canyon

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 06:49:59 AM »
Feeder Creek into Bishop Creek

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2015, 07:27:57 AM »
Another Trailhead close to Parchers is the Tyee Lakes Trailhead.  Did not have time to take this trail this time but have been up there a few times.  The trail takes you up to Table Mountain as you hike by 5 back-country lakes, 4 in which have trout, with some pretty well sized.  Iíll report later this summer on this hike (and fish) when I return to this area.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
The bridge over Bishop Creek to Tyee Trail

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2015, 08:35:10 AM »
Caught a rainbow out of the upper Tyee that was almost black.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock