Author Topic: Bishop Creek Canyon  (Read 82924 times)

Obi96

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
Another great report wshawkins, keep em coming.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:50 PM »
WOW! a long time ago when I mentioned Jack's in a post all I heard about was Tom's Place. Yea Toms Place is very convenient if you are allready up in the canyon, but if its after 6:30 am and you are going thru Bishop and you are a breakfast person it's the best start to your trip. Being a veteran I am a S--t on a shingle guy , that's what you had for breakfast in the mess hall. Chicken Fried steak with gravy on it, Hashbrown potatoes with two eggs over medium dumped on the hashbrowns, and Biscuts and gravy on the side instead of toast. Put some hot sauce on the eggs and hashbrowns mix them up, make sure your coffee cup is full and your water, and come up for air every once in a while!
It's a lot of great food, and the place is so warm with all the old artifacts of the area, the mounted fish on the walls and the friendly local employees that work there. Check it out, and you will be hooked. Thank's Bill for finally putting Jack's on the map and and the positive comments from everyone that's enjoyed this special place. Time now for getting into some more of wshawkins great adventures!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 06:56:42 AM »
Another great report wshawkins, keep em coming.

Thanks Obi96.  Next one coming soon…………………..
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 06:57:53 AM »
WOW! a long time ago when I mentioned Jack's in a post all I heard about was Tom's Place. Yea Toms Place is very convenient if you are allready up in the canyon, but if its after 6:30 am and you are going thru Bishop and you are a breakfast person it's the best start to your trip. Being a veteran I am a S--t on a shingle guy , that's what you had for breakfast in the mess hall. Chicken Fried steak with gravy on it, Hashbrown potatoes with two eggs over medium dumped on the hashbrowns, and Biscuts and gravy on the side instead of toast. Put some hot sauce on the eggs and hashbrowns mix them up, make sure your coffee cup is full and your water, and come up for air every once in a while!
It's a lot of great food, and the place is so warm with all the old artifacts of the area, the mounted fish on the walls and the friendly local employees that work there. Check it out, and you will be hooked. Thank's Bill for finally putting Jack's on the map and and the positive comments from everyone that's enjoyed this special place. Time now for getting into some more of wshawkins great adventures!

Jack’s does serve some large breakfasts.  Lots of food.  But this was the last real meal for a week for these guys so it’s all good. 
The Chocolate lakes were a fun fishing day but next up I get a bit more serious and start chasing Goldens and Golden Hybrids.  Stay tuned:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »
Bishop Pass Trail to Treasure Lakes

For Treasure Lakes, take the Bishop Pass Trail as it leaves the lower end of the South Lake parking lot.   At 0.8 miles, you come to the Treasure Lakes Trail Junction.  At this junction, take the trail to the right marked Treasure Lakes.  The path moves parallel to the South Lake Shoreline.  The bad news is you will lose some elevation as the path winds down around the back of the lake, which means you will hit those same up and down sections on your way back.  But it’s worth the effort.  You will shortly regain your lost ground as the trail moves over several creeks crossings.  There is some beautiful stretches of slow moving creek to be found in this area holding rainbow-golden hybrid trout and occasional pure goldens.

Bishop Pass Trailhead

Looking down at South Lake in the early morning I can see the lake come alive with hundreds of fish feeding on top.  It’s quite a sight to see!

South lake

Treasure Lakes Sign

Creek Crossing

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
As the trail crosses above the creek it will climb out of the woods into open ground.  The views back towards South Lake do get better as you gain altitude.  It’s really pretty when South Lake is full, but still not too bad today.  There is some serious climbing here before reaching the lowest Treasure Lakes.

Trail

Beautiful Hike

2nd Creek Crossing

Creek Views

3rd Creek Crossing

Steps

Glacier Scarring

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »
Anybody who fishes South Lake where the inlets come in at knows that it’s the best place to fish for Rainbows and Browns.  There’s actually four inlets to choose from, so plenty of good choices.

The fourth Stream Crossing

Views of South Lake

Kind of a bitter sweet trip for me, as I used to backpack up to the Upper Treasure Lakes (#5 was a favorite) when it held all you can catch (and eat) fat goldens before they killed them off for the frogs.  Treasure Lakes has seven lakes total before DFG eliminated the top five lakes of all golden trout.  With all of the brookies lakes around, why kill off the only golden lakes in the South Lake Pass area?  And to add insult to injury, they accidentally dumped rainbow fingerlings in the first two lakes soon after killing off the upper lakes that forever changed the species there.   >:(

The Treasure Lakes nest in a small granite alpine basin in the South Fork Canyon beneath a cluster of 13,000 foot peaks.  Spectacular scenery to say the least!  The first two lakes have the coveted golden trout (Hybrid).  These lakes are indeed treasures.  These lakes were named by the Parchers, early Bishop Creek Innkeepers, for the golden trout planted in them by their son.

First Look at #1 Treasure lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
After the 3.0 mile hike to Treasure Lakes, it was time to test the waters.  #1 Treasure Lake has the larger Goldens so I mostly concentrated my time and efforts when I visit these lakes.  First cast at the outlet of #1 lake caught my first fish.  Actually, my first three casts bring in the trout!  When you start your day like this, you know it’s going to be a good day!  Fishing bead-head nymphs as a dropper under terrestrials did the trick today!

#1 Treasure lakes

1st cast, first trout out of #1 Treasure Lakes

#2 Treasure lakes

#2 Treasure lakes

Golden out of #2 Treasure Lakes

Between #1 & #2 Treasure Lakes

#1 Treasure Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
Fishing was good today for the hybrid trout in both #1 and #2 Treasure Lakes.  Not crazy good like at Chocolate Lakes, but good action for the time spent fishing here.  C&R over 20+ Golden hybrid trout’s at these lakes plus another six smaller ones at the creek crossings back down the trail. 

#1 Treasure lakes

Hybrid Golden Trout from #1

Hybrid Golden

Pretty Hybrid Golden

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »
It was one after another.  I’ve been to these lakes over a dozen times over the years and never had this kind of success!  Amazing day of fishing!

#1 Treasure lakes

Another Golden

#1 Treasure lakes

#1 Treasure lakes

Golden Hybrid

Golden

Largest Hybrid Golden Caught

#1 at Outlet

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
Don’t forget to try the outlet creek down the trail for some fun creek fishing.  The best looking Goldens came out of these creeks.  Try near the down logs, they usually hide near there.  Good little fighters too!

Outlet Creek

Outlet Creek

Outlet Creek

Outlet Creek

Small Hybrid Golden

Small Golden

Trail out

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »
If you have the energy or the will for more hiking, extend your hike by crossing the creek between #1 and #2 lake and follow a faint use trial that follows the outflow from the upper Treasure lakes.  It’s about a 500 foot climb to a rockbound Treasure Lakes #3, 4 and 5.  This is where you encounter true Eastern Sierra high country timberline scenery. 

Upper Treasure Lakes

For the cross-country enthusiasts (like me), from the upper Treasure Lakes you can travel over the saddle of Hurd Peak down to Margaret Lake (Brooks), then to Spearhead lake (Brooks & Browns) and hook-up with the Bishop Pass Trail at Long Lake (Brooks, Browns & Rainbows).  Experienced cross-country folks with a topo map should only attempt this strenuous loop trip back to South Lake.

Views South

Views  North

Next up I head up the “Green Creek Basin” and take a hike on the “pipeline” to fish the lakes up there for which Bishop Creek is famous for.  This was my favorite hike and the most fun I had fishing in some time.

To be continued……………………………………………..

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Great  report. I've always been tempted to take the turn off to these lakes but the hike back didn't look friendly on the topo map. For some reason I don't like uphill on the way out. Back to Jack's Waffle Shop. I used to stop there with my grandparents in the late 40's after a gas stop at Tony's big 76 station at West Line St. Time flies!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »
Yeah, most folks don't like the uphill climb on the way out, me included.  But on the positive side, I was the only fisherman at the lakes that day, only visitor I seen was a local walking their dog.   :doglick:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
Back to Jack's Waffle Shop. I used to stop there with my grandparents in the late 40's after a gas stop at Tony's big 76 station at West Line St. Time flies!

Had no ideal that Jack's went back to the 40's.  Looks and feels like the 70's perhaps.  Now when I walk into Tom's place near Rock Creek it looks and just feels old! ;D

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
This was my final day of fishing at Bishop Creek Canyon and was another great day of fishing.  Weather was near perfect, except for some high winds that came up later but didn’t seem to hurt the fishing.  I took up my ultra-light fishing pole with 2 lb. line and the fish today were pushing near the breaking point.  Beautiful full bodied Kamloops Rainbows on this trip, couldn’t end it any better than this!

Next up, my trip up to Green lake.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
Green Creek Basin to Green Lake on the Pipeline

The Green Creek Basin offers some worthwhile hikes to some gorgeous destinations. This area is especially known for bountiful wildflowers and wild rainbow trout, and is a favorite to visit and revisit for both locals and canyon visitors alike.  The 3.0 mile hike to Green Lake sees few hikers and even fewer fishermen.  It’s probably overlooked because of the nearby trail to Bishop Pass and the many lakes it encompasses. 

Green Lake Hike via Pipeline

Pipeline

Ever hiked following a pipeline into a lovely hanging valley with great fishing?  Not likely right!  There really isn’t a trailhead for Green Lake.  There are no signs nor is it obvious.  One trail starts at Parchers Resort (near #20 Cabin).  The trail up from the Parchers Resort is steep and a little rough, but is shorter than the pipeline route.  The pipeline route is the easiest because it starts at a higher elevation and due to a gradual grade for the first mile.  The most direct route is to park at La Hupp picnic area and just cross-country until you intersect the Green Lake trail.  But for this hike, I recommend taking Green Lake Hike via the pipeline. 

Pipeline

This hike starts in the upper end of the main parking lot at South Lake.  Walk around the locked green gate and hike down the trail about 100 yards, looking to the right to spot the pipeline. Walk to the pipeline, climb aboard and start following it up the canyon wall.

Pipeline

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 07:15:14 AM »
The pipeline is easy to walk on most of the way.  There are some stretches that require walking on the pipeline itself, but it is not scary and requires only minimum balance skills. 

Caution:  The pipe can be really hot in summer and can burn your dog’s feet and may not be a good way to go for them.  Don’t walk on the pipe if it’s wet or you hear thunder in the distance.  Not a good ideal for small children or anybody with balance issues. 

History Moment:
  “The old abandoned pipe once carried water down to South Lake where steam-powered equipment was needed to build the dam, where in 1908/09; the Nevada-California Power Company constructed South Lake Dam.  Southern California Edison now manages the dam and the power plants further down the canyon.  After the dam completion, the captured creek water flowed into South Lake for many years until locals started complaining to get Green Creek restored again.”

Building of South Lake Dam 1908

The old pipe heads gradually uphill and in one mile merges with the steep trail from Parchers Resort.  There is an excellent view of Parchers Resort at this point where the trail meets the old pipeline. 

Pipeline Ends and Merges with Trail from Parchers Resort

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:32 AM »
Strangely, one mile into your hike you come up to the only Green Lake Trail Sign I seen?

Green Lake Trail Sign

Parchers Resort from the Trail

Continue on this trail as it zig-zags up the steep mountainside.  At the top after a lot of elevation gain, the trail levels out a bit and continue up the valley. 

Trail

Moving on up the trail there is evidence of past avalanches that devastated the forest.  Avalanches have an incredible force and speed that can destroy everything in its path and can carry downed trees and large rocks for great distances.

Destruction from an Avalanche

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Bluff lake is near this area.  Can’t see it from the trail but is real close and near a wet meadow.  Fished it for a few minutes and C&R rainbows from up to 10”.  Very aggressive rainbows trout in this lake!

Bluff Lake

History Moment:
  “Green Lake Basin was a sacred place for the ancestors of the Paiute people.  Evidence of the habitation goes back 7,000 to 9,000 years ago and indicates that this area was of prime importance for food gathering.  They came up during summer to escape the heat of the Owens Valley as the men hunted deer and mountain sheep while the women and children gathered and prepared food.  There are remains of an Indian camp here with signs of their use still evident.  Small shelters were erected that resemble a modern day dome tents of today.  Rocks that were piled around the base of the huts still remain today.  If you should find them, please respect their cultural significance by leaving them in place as you found them.  The lush meadows along the creeks provided many varieties of food resources for these people.  Everything they needed to survive was there, and they returned year after year handing down the knowledge to the next generations. 

Cowboys, trappers and sheepherders also made good use of the extensive lush meadows in this area and had trails that went into Coyote Flats for more grazing as summer advanced.  Miners also were up here and later came on the packers who started bringing in deer hunters around the 1920’s from the resort at Halliday’s Rainbow Camp (now Parchers Camp).”

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Moving up the valley I encountered several more wet meadows as the trail enters a lush area below Brown Lake.  At 1.5 miles I reach Brown Lake, which is amply named.  Brown Lake is the halfway mark to Green Lake.  Brown Lake is not fed from Green Creek as it depends on snow melt to feed the lake.  The lake level is down due to the current draught, but still fishable.  No activity on top but was able to C&R a few rainbows to about 12”.  Again the rainbow trout were great fighters.  But my goal was Green Lake, so up the trail I go.

Trail before Brown Lake

Brown Lake

Brown Lake

Continuing on to Green Lake, I cut through a large wet meadow and then climb up switchbacks though a large rocky ridge where I get good views of the South Fork Bishop Canyon near the outlet of Green Lake.

Looking back at Brown Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 07:27:03 AM »
Finally at 3.0 miles, I arrived at Green Lake, elevation 11,054 feet.  Green lake really does have green looking water when viewed from above.  There is a trail that is visible on the far side of the lake that will take you to Coyote Flats and other destinations. 

Green Lake

There are some nice campsites at Green Lake if your backpacking or you can try your angling skill on the large Rainbow trout that inhabit this lake.  Fishing was on my agenda!  Feisty large Kamloops, prized by fly fishermen for its fighting qualities, resides in these waters (Kamloops is a strain of the Rainbow Trout).

Turned out to be a real windy day, with big gusts and swirling winds changing direction every few minutes.  There was no getting out of the wind today.  But there are large trout in this lake, and because of the high winds, I went with a large fly and a couple of split shots to keep it down and help toss it out far enough.  That did the trick!

Fish On!

Wild Rainbow Trout

Wild Rainbow Trout

Wild Rainbow Trout

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »
Turned out to be a real good quality fishing day, with Kamloops to 18”.    Lost count on how many I caught that day, that’s how great a day I had.  And the bigger they were, the higher they jumped out of the water fighting to shake off the fly.  One Kamloop Rainbow trout jumped and flipped 7-8 times out of the water as I was bringing it in. Just incredible!

Wild Rainbow Trout

Wild Rainbow Trout

Wild Rainbow Trout

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
What a great 3 day trip this turned out to be.  Wished I could have stayed longer.  There is so much more I wanted to see, fish and hike.  Well, there always next year!

Trail Out

Trail

Boulder Field

Views

Pipeline Home

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 08:32:45 AM »
Wow, what a hike. Great looking fish. I looked at a Green Lake several years ago but it looked steep and I wasn't sure about the fishing. Should have gone then as now balance becomes more of an issue for old Geezers.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock