Author Topic: Bishop Creek Canyon  (Read 82584 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
If you have balance issues, the pipeline is not the way to go.  The regular trail is very steep and makes this a difficult hike plus adds on more mileage as it zigs and zags up the mountain.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »
Those are some very nice fish. I didn't realize there was that much elevation gain to get up there. Thanks for the pics and report.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
As usual you just keep knocking it out of the park! Great looking fish!   :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
Those are some very nice fish. I didn't realize there was that much elevation gain to get up there. Thanks for the pics and report.

Yes, quite a bit of elevation gain, with most of it in the first 1 Ĺ miles.  Then the final Ĺ mile you have another 400-550 ft. gain.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
As usual you just keep knocking it out of the park! Great looking fish!   :clap:

Even by my standards this was a fantastic fishing trip, with this last leg to Green Lake being my favorite.  Check out the large fins on the wild Rainbows, youíll never see that on stocked fish!

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
If you have balance issues, the pipeline is not the way to go.  The regular trail is very steep and makes this a difficult hike plus adds on more mileage as it zigs and zags up the mountain.

Do you know what the pipe diameter is?
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 12:09:33 PM »
Diameter of the pipe is 24Ē.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »
A friend of a friend did a 4wd trip into Coyote Flats. He caught big, full finned, wild Rainbows that fit the description of the fish your pictures. He would not tell the name of the lakes though. Any chance Green Lake is where he was, or are are there other lakes in the Coyote Flats area. (I do like Jacks, used to be the big breakfast spot before going into Pine Creek for a week. but i a Alabama Hills Cafe guy now.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 03:24:48 PM »
A friend of a friend did a 4wd trip into Coyote Flats. He caught big, full finned, wild Rainbows that fit the description of the fish your pictures. He would not tell the name of the lakes though. Any chance Green Lake is where he was, or are are there other lakes in the Coyote Flats area. (I do like Jacks, used to be the big breakfast spot before going into Pine Creek for a week. but i a Alabama Hills Cafe guy now.

Itís possible, but itís really rough out there.  If he has a Polaris or Ranger all-terrain vehicle, they can go almost anywhere.  If he said he drove to the lake, Iím thinking its most likely Funnel Lake and nearby Rocky Bottom Lake, which both have nice size rainbows.  Last mile or two to funnel Lake is a real bumpy ride.

Baker Creek and Baker Lake is also nearby and both have nice rainbows.  You can drive to Baker Creek but itís about a mile hike to Baker Lake (easy).

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
I think you're right. Funnel Lake looks more likely looking at google earth.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
Most of the Coyote Flats road is near 10,000 feet with one route climbing over 11,000.  Visit to the remote Schober Mine is interesting but the final approach to Schober Mine is very steep and narrow but relatively smooth.  You will need to cross Coyote Creek several times.  You can camp on the edge of John Muir Wilderness and hike to secluded lakes just inside the wilderness boundary in Coyote Flats.  Enjoy great views of the Palisade Group and South Lake towards Bishop Pass at the plateau.  Good fishing at several lakes of the region.  Much of the route is somewhat easy although narrow and steep in places.  4-wheel drive recommended with skid plates are recommended for the last rocky mile nearing the hiking trail to Baker Lake into John Muir Wilderness and to Funnel Lake.  On the secondary roads, high clearance 4-wheel vehicles only.

Best to go with a group, because if you get stuck in one of the wet meadows, well good luck! ;D

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
Coyote is a great place. A local's place for the most part. I found out about it through a friend I worked with at the Van Nuys airport in the late 70's. We burnt a clutch in his 2wd Toyota p/u getting there. Never found a lake. I left the topo map back in my car somewhere on the switchbacks as the Pinto was out of power b/c of the altitude and to get past the switchbacks. We did turn around when we saw South Lake waaay down below. Went back into Bishop; got a fresh disk and replaced it somewhere along the Owens that night.
I've been to Rocky Bottom, Funnel and Thunder & Lighting prob 8x since the 80's that's where my ashes w/b spread by airplane. I have 2 people that will do it; just as a backup. It's that special to me. Yes good rainbows in R.B. and Funnel. Not many though. My son caught his 1st there.  Brookies in T&L abundant.  T&L you have to hike a short ways from the head of Baker Creek. 4wd is a must, not technical but some is a steep sandy slog; and some rocky/slow between the air field and Funnel as Hawk said. There used to be an airport and a hangar with a wood stove there put in place by the army to practice high altitude rescues some years ago, but they have tore/raked it all up... I haven't been there since 2008. Mid October; had a snow storm. 16* :cold: when we left and got out of there.  My friend Mark drove, I navigated in silence as he was focused to get us out the 20 miles back to town and it was getting dark and drifting. I'd just barked which direction as we came up to the forks... There is an abundence of camping at Funnel and along Baker Creek. All outside the wilderness.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
Tex, I see that Coyote has great importance and meaning to you.  You can still see where the airport was as you go by it on the way to Funnel Lake.  Nothing is left.  My favorite areas up there are Baker Lake for the variety of fish and itís just beautiful there.  Second would be end of the road at Baker Creek, which makes a nice camp spot. There is fish in the Creek but there tiny.

Thunder & Lightening is a gorgeous rock bound lake, but why does such a high elevation lake have Brookies in it.  Should be goldens.  By the way, Thunder and Lightning Lake got its name from a packer named Halliday who got caught in a storm while planting fish in the lake during the 1920s.  Makes sense to see! :rain:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »
For those who wonít or canít hike, there are plenty of places you can drive too and drop a line in in Bishop Creek Canyon.  One of the better places I can think of is Intake 2, a fishing hot spot for many years. 

Intake 2

Intake 2

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
Hawk, Could have been goldens. It was probably 1985 the last time I was there, sadly no iphone= pictures. Fishing was off the chain for about 3 hrs for me and my buddy just as a full moon appeared over the ridge, purely magical. Just remembered that the leading edge of their fins were white, definitely not a rainbow! Don't recall what the sides were like. I was excited that it was a different species. Content to be catching and placing them back.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »
Another great drive-to lake is Sabrina lake.  Some large trout has come out of this lake!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 07:23:32 AM »
Lake Sabrina Boat Landing.  After a day of fishing & hiking, this is one of my favorite places in the Sierra to relax and have your favorite drink as you watch the view from the patio.  They make their own pie, but my favorite is their homemade ice cream!  Yum!

Lake Sabrina Dam

Cafe Patio

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »
Sabrina 2012

The Creek is Waiting...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 01:18:15 PM »
1 more

The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
The lake levels look even lower then did it for 2014!  Hope we get some heavy snow this winter!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 06:51:38 AM »
Sabrina Basin Trailhead, gateway for many back-country lakes such as Blue, Emerald, Dingleberry, Donkey lakes plus many more beautiful lakes to enjoy.

Sabrina Basin Trailhead

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 06:54:06 AM »
Middle Fork of Bishop Creek near one of the weir flow control gates.  Plenty of fish seen here!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 06:55:40 AM »
Another one of the Middle Fork of Bishop Creek

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:44 AM »
When Erik and I went in 2012 they only water at Sabrina was all the way at the back of the lake. We actually walked back there in the lake bed it was really strange.
The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 06:47:48 AM »
Another great drive-to destination in the Bishop Creek Canyon is North lake.  Good fishing here with many trails nearby.

North lake at the outlet