Author Topic: Bishop Creek Canyon  (Read 61584 times)

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »
Man I Love your reports! Even though I don't post all the time, I'm always here reading them, so thank you!!

I'd love to find some old mines to do some scratching around in. I find myself prospecting just as much as I fish now a days, It's good fun!!
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »
As usual , thanks!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »
Appreciate the comments everyone!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »
Bumped this Topic up to see if there is any interest in a Part 2 Bishop Creek Canyon trip report as I went again last August and stayed again in Parchers Resort.  Went again to some of the best fishing lakes from last time but hit a few new lakes and streams recommended by Parchers.  Real quality fishing in Bishop Canyon with backcountry Trout up to 19”, all in hike-to backcountry lakes reachable on a day hike.  Also found a new mine in Bishop Canyon backcountry to visit and explore and the old trail that used to be part of the Bishop Pass Trail many years ago.

Going again this fall for a few days hoping to hit some beautiful fall colors.   If there no interest in Bishop Creek I’ll bury this adventure in my archives, so no worries.  But I’m having a blast up there!  Happy fishing and exploring everyone!!! 

Here is one of my favorite fishing lakes and with some of the largest Kamloop Rainbow Trout I’ve ever seen in a back-country lake.  Can you name this jaw dropping beautiful backcountry lake?

Bishop Creek Canyon Backcountry Lake

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »
I love all of your pictures and reports, they are so informative and make me realize that I should have forced myself to take advantage of the beauty of the eastern  sierra quite a few years ago. I vote for more inspiration from Bishop Canyon, but any and all pics and reports are completely read by me. Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences with us. :clap:

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
Ditto.
More Please.
Can't get enough.
I am confident that many, many others feel the same yet not be able to post a response in a timely manner.
Please continue to share your wealth of knowledge, experiences and photos - not only of Bishop Creek/Canyon trip but any others that you feel you have the time to expend to post.

Thank you from all of us!
 :clap:

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
Ditto again!  Even though I will never fish there, I love seeing it's beauty.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »
Ditto!!
Your pictures and reports are off the Chart. I look forward to reading about your adventures and seeing the fabulous pictures that you post on this forum!
How is Gracie doing and did she get up into the backcountry with you this year?

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2016, 10:18:02 PM »
Mount Darwin would be a good hint.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
Jack's is a great breakfast place, and I never passed it by until I tried the breakfast burrito at Mahogany Smoked Meats.  I could eat one every day.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »
Can I let ya know somewhere around 12am....(Midnight?)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
Ditto!!
How is Gracie doing and did she get up into the backcountry with you this year?

I took Gracie out a couple of times this year.  Took her up in mid-February with one of our stops at the Snow Park (Rock Creek) and put her in her booties and we hiked up the road some.  First time in the snow and she had a blast!  This summer went to the Tioga Pass area and hiked to many lakes and vistas.  She is a great trail dog.

Gracie eating snow at the Snow Park (Rock Creek)  ;D

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »
Went to a well-known drive-to lake that was frozen over in winter (Can you guess?).  She was playing catch with my daughter who’s out of the picture on the right throwing snowballs to her (she just ate them or tried too) ;D.  She can be a handful but she is all love.

Gracie at a frozen lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
Can I let ya know somewhere around 12am....(Midnight?)

It does look very similar to Midnight, but Midnight has only Brookies in it and is in the wrong drainage.  I favorite in that drainage is the Hungry Packer!!!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
Mount Darwin would be a good hint.

Mount Darwin is in view of this lake but still some distance away.  There is a trail that skirts this mystery lake that is the shortcut into Evolution Basin and the John Muir Trail.  Very strenuous trail with lots of elevation gain, scree and cross country travel.  The pictured lake is near 11,000 ft. and the peaks seen are well over 13,000 ft.  Mount Darwin nearby sits at 13,831 ft. and is impossible to miss!

The Trail from the mystery lake to JMT

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
Only went that way once. The trail picture gave it away for me. If no one else chimes in, I will later.

Ever do the other shortcut into Evolution? The Black notch above Echo lake. That one will make your huevos tingle for sure.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
Never have taken that shortcut.  I fished Echo Lake couple of times and recall catching nice sized Rainbows.  Took off from Moonlight Lake as there is an off-and-on use trails up to Echo Lake.  From there looking at the Black Notch looks like a class 3 climb. :hiking2:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2017, 06:10:39 PM »
Just back from Mammoth Mountain and the snow is crazy high!  What an epic season for snow lovers.  Also visited Rock Creek which the road was open to the snow-park.  Get your Snow-Park permits as they will ticket you.  I cross-country skied past Rock Creek Lake to Mosquito Flats on a nice groomed trail.  It was the first time I’ve seen the Creek completely frozen over!  It was so beautiful!  It’s going to be awhile before anyone can fish the backcountry this season.  Can’t wait for this season to start and it should be beautiful with the snow on the mountains.

Back on topic, will be posting the latest on Bishop Creek Canyon (Part 2) soon.  Late as usual but should be well worth it as it was a great fishing trip.  It’s all backcountry fishing and some of the hikes were difficult but landed some nice large trout out of these pristine waters.  Got some nice photos to share and hope everyone enjoys them.  Hope to get everyone excited for the upcoming season!

Bishop Creek Canyon Part 2 coming soon………………………………………………….

Bishop Creek Canyon

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2017, 07:00:46 AM »
Bishop Creek Canyon

Bishop Creek Canyon - Part 2

As I mentioned last summer, I’d be coming back to Bishop Creek Canyon again the next summer.  Last time I only was able to spend 3 days there, but this time I had a whole week to discover the best fishing to be had in the Bishop Creek back-country.

Fishing was pretty good most places and at times outstanding.  Last time I went for numbers, this year I went for quality and size.  I still missed some great fishing holes that will have again to wait for this summer’s trip.  I will report back to this Board later for Bishop Creek Canyon (Part 3?) if any here are still interested.

Smitty of Parchers Resort was quite busy this time around working fixing/doing maintenance though-out the Resort, so didn’t get to talk to him much on any fishing tips, but did run into the co-owners of the resort (Judy & Steve Smith).  Did get the scoop on several good fishing lakes, but the best part of our conversation was of a hand drawled map made from an employee of Parchers from the 1920’s!  What surprised me was it had a different trail going up to Bishop Pass!  The old road/trail went first to a mine, then up to the pass.  Well I found this old trail that has not been used over 50-70 + years and found what’s left of the mine.  I love these discoveries!

Parchers Resort

Anyway, the following lakes and streams were highly recommended by the Smiths for the best fishing and size in Bishop Creek Canyon backcountry:

To be continued……………………………………………………………………………….

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2017, 07:03:19 AM »

I started my trip like last time with a stop in Bishop at “Jack Waffle Shop” for a delicious and filling breakfast.  Once filled up, drove up 168 towards South Lake to Parchers Resort.  Got there early but they were kind enough to let me check-in.  From there I headed up to the Bishop Pass Trailhead.  I was feeling pretty good so I took a hike up the trail that same day. 

Parchers Resort

Next up I head to “Long Lake”.
 To be continued………………………………………………………………………

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2017, 07:07:03 AM »

The trek up to Long Lake is absolutely beautiful.  The Sierra landscape in this region is just amazing.  This is a well-travelled trail and I was far from alone but most were backpackers heading for Bishop Pass and beyond.  This is the most popular backcountry lake in Bishop Pass Canyon according to the Smiths.  The 2.5 miles of hiking to Long Lake only took me about 1 hour, but your time can very.

Long Lake

Long Lake

Long Lake is an absolutely incredible High Sierra paradise.  It has a small island on its northern end, great views of Mount Goode and Hurd Peak, and excellent fishing opportunities with three species in this high Sierra Lake.  And fishing is what I came for!

Brookies

Rainbows

Even though this is the most popular lake in the Bishop Pass area, the fishing pressure is never much as far as I seen.  I catch equal numbers of Brookies to Rainbows, with a Brown or two most outings.  Dry flies work best for Brookies and Rainbow trout and lures and streamers in deep water for Browns at Long Lake.

Long Lake Brown

Next up is Ruwau Lake
To be continued………………………………………..

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2017, 06:34:46 AM »

Ruwau Trailhead

Ruwau Lake is a 6 miles roundtrip with a 1250 Vertical Ft.  The trailhead to Ruwau Lake is about 2/3 past Long Lake on your left on the Bishop Pass Trail.  There are some excellent panorama views of Long Lake from this trail.  I have only caught Brookies out of Ruwau Lake during the last three years visiting Bishop Creek Canyon.  CDFW shows Rainbows should be in there too but had not seen any in some years.

Panorama Views of Long Lake

What’s nice about the fishing at Ruwau Lake is the Brookies are larger than normal (up to 12”) and not normally stunted as you find in many Brookie Lakes.  If you’re looking for a fish dinner for later, this is the lake I would chose to keep a few for later.

Ruwau Lake

Ruwau Lake

Ruwau Lake

Fishing is excellent here and plentiful with double figures almost guaranteed.  I caught fish just about everywhere at this lake, but if you’re having problems try near the island or near the outlet for best results.  Dry flies or trout jigs works good here.

Brookie

Brookie

Brookie

Next up is Treasure Lakes
To be continued………………………………………………………………….

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
Hello WSH!

Thank you for the latest TR in your vast library.   :clap:

I, and very likely along with many others, have been waiting with much anticipation.

As always, the prose is captivating and the photos are incredible.  The last image of the Brookie in Fall Spawning colors is spectacular and a classic representation of that seasonal transition. 

Looking forward to more chapters on this one as well as additional new TRs as your schedule permits.  Please keep them coming!

All the best, P A C

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »
Thanks PAC!  That last Brookie was my biggest and most colorful of the day.  Good fighter too.  And it did make it back into the lake…. :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »

Treasure Lakes Turnoff

The Smiths love these lakes.  They love the history of how The Parchers son planted the first Golden Trout in these lakes way back in the 1920’s.  Locals with dogs seem to really like this hike too.  If you want to catch a Sierra Slam, this is where I would start.  I recommend giving yourself a day or two to acclimate before hiking into Treasure Lakes.  The 5.7 mile (Roundtrip) hike is an up and down hike that tough on fresh legs.  The Treasure Lakes were an easy bet for a few Golden hybrids on this chilly morning.

#1 Treasure Lakes

#1 Treasure Lakes

Weather was great with a light breeze.  Views of the lakes when you first come up to them are just beautiful.  Fishing was even better using a tan EC Caddis.  The Golden Hybrids were plentiful in Lakes #1 & 2 up to about 10”.  The Golden Hybrids tend to be larger in Lake 1, so that’s where I fished mostly.

#2 Treasure Lake

Golden Hybrid #2 Treasure Lake

Golden Hybrid #1 Treasure Lake

Golden Hybrid #1 Treasure Lake

If you are ambitious and want to climb to the 3rd, 4th and 5th Treasure Lakes, follow the trail that runs between 1st and 2nd Treasure Lakes until it fizzles out in the back of the lakes.  Hike up the draw that the creek runs in.  Follow the creek uphill until it can no longer be easily followed and then head over to the right.  There are no fish in these lakes but it is the most scenic up there of all the Treasure Lakes.

Next up I hike up to Green Lake
To be continued……………………………………………………………..