Author Topic: 2015 trip #2  (Read 5128 times)

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
2015 trip #2
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
Went up to Mammoth Friday to do a little fishing and see if it was possible to ski. I was supposed to meet people for big old man ski day but most bailed out due to the lack of snow. Three of us had good luck fishing the slow water where the river enters Pleasant Valley Reservior. Caught some nice size trout for the fish fry, with a 20 inch Brown as the jackpot! My buddy who rarely fishes caught it on a Nightcrawler. We actually skied a day even in the poor conditions. Mammoth has really good snow making equipment, so it was still great day! Very bare up there though. We would not have skied without the half price lift tickets my buddy got. Snowing now though! Come on big Spring!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 trip #2
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »
I was at Mammoth about 1 ˝ weeks ago too, didn’t fish but skied some and checked out what little snow was out there.  Bodie was open with no snow on the road.  Went up to Lundy and hiked up to the frozen waterfall.  The road is open but you’ll need 4-wheel drive on the last ˝ mile.  The road to Rock Creek is gated just before East Fork Campground.  Not sure why as there is no snow on the road until about 1 mile up.  Hiked all the way to Gem Lakes with my snow boots, had my snowshoes strapped to my pack but never needed them.  Snow averaged about 4” to 12” in the back country.  It was so beautiful with what little snow there was and with the lakes frozen.

Glad you had a nice trip and caught some fish!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
wow,,,  you are already done with trip #2,  and moat of us are still day dreaming about out trip #1!   way to go keith! 
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
Nice to hear that someone is getting out there. For those interested in a hotel in Bishop "The Elms" has some decent winter rates this time of year. I'm sure that if you asked you could get the same rates without belonging to a fly fishing clubs. That Sun - Wed rate is a great deal for 4 nights @ $120.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
Good info Gary C. Thanks  :clap:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »
The Elms is the only place I stay in Bishop, Been going there for years, always get the same room and the owner only charges me 40 bucks a night no matter what time of year..

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
Sierraslam Dude you are killing me ! 2 trips already, that's awesome.

GaryC and R96 where in Bishop is the Elms, usually stay at Motel 6, pretty cheap and they don't charge extra if I bring my dog.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:36:06 AM »
The elms is one block east of 395 off of Elm St. which is where the Arco station is on the corner... They seem to cater to fishermen mostly... They have a nice area for cleaning your fish and a outside freezer if you want to freeze your fish before coming home.. Rooms are small but clean... cable tv and a small coffee maker in each room. Its very quiet and no traffic noise..

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
Thanks to Gary C. for the info.  :chestbump:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »
Gary and Roy thanks for the info, may have to give the Elms a try.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Sierra Trading

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the great insight to your trips, we made it up last summer and camped in Big Pine , we ran up the canyon to rock creek and couldn't believe the large construction underway and amazed at time lapse getting to the resort.
I am planning to get up there soon and will be checking in for new messages on rock creek area.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
Thanks for the great insight to your trips, we made it up last summer and camped in Big Pine , we ran up the canyon to rock creek and couldn't believe the large construction underway and amazed at time lapse getting to the resort.
I am planning to get up there soon and will be checking in for new messages on rock creek area.

Just an FYI ... it will be going on this summer as well and if you visit Convict Lake it will be going on there to.
The Creek is Waiting...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 05:50:21 AM »
Welcome to the Board, Sierra Trading.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.