Author Topic: Horrible news for 2015 fish stocking...  (Read 13968 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Horrible news for 2015 fish stocking...
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Read this article in the Sierra Wave,,,,40 percent reduction in fish stocking for 2015....Last year was pretty bad for fishing and the size of the stocked fish was the smallest I have seen in many years.

http://www.sierrawave.net/33409/black-rock-hatchery-remains-open/

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible news for 2015 fish stocking...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
I wonder where most of the license money goes  :robber:
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
Yeah I wonder too Bob.  I hope this thread doesn't get too political or we'll have to nuke it,  but either way,  I wonder about the license money too.  We need a group like the NRA,  some really tough mofos who will look out for our interests.  Not sure if this group is the answer,  but I will start following them to see what happens:  http://www.sportfishingconservation.org/index.php/about-us/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:23:55 PM by Topwater Terry »
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:02:45 AM »
Sure does make you wonder where California is going with the reduced stock fishing.  They raise the fishing license every year (now $47.01) but reduce the fish stocking?  Does not seem fair!  Have they considered the impact on local businesses that depend on the fishing folks when Joe Doe and his family decide not to go camping this summer because the fish stocking is down 40% this year on top of the 25% reduction last year?  Hope they find a resolution for this before the fishing season starts.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
So I wonder what will be the bigger issue this year...... No Fish or No Water.

But getting back on topic, yes, it's a little disgusting to raise fishing lic. fees and reduce stocking. One can't help but suspect that the powers that be are robbing the funds for other things. We've all seen both sides of the isle do it with Social Security coffers, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac just to give a few examples. Some of these politicians think it's their personal ATM. It's bipartisan.

And the beat goes on.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:25 AM »
Considering that almost 400,000 pounds of less fish will be stocked, that comes to about 3/4 a million less fish won't be stocked..... to me that's a heck of a lot of fish.. 

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
What ever happened to AB7? Arnold signed it into state law I thought. 33% of our California fishing license was supposed to go back to hatcheries and fish habitat. Prior to AB7 all fishing license money went to the general fund. Maybe Brownie has struck that law down? I have no idea. This stinks, I know that much.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:50 AM »
Things are pretty messed up in Sacramento, but there are some glimmers of hope for fish in the waters this year. I've been a member of the Mono County Fisheries Commission for about 6 months now (yes, Commissioner Scout...and I HATE politics), and we are working on this stocking fiasco. The first order of business we're working on goes like this...
We get an annual budget from the County to use as we see fit, after approval from the Board of Supervisors. This year we have about $20,000 left in the till, it has to be spent by the end of June. At the last meeting, Feb. 4, we decided to spend all of that money on fish from the Desrt Springs Hatchery in Oregon, the guys that took over stocking trophy trout when the Conway Ranch Hatchery went under. At first, some of the Commissioners wanted to buy big fish to stock. I suggested that we use that money to buy smaller fish. iInstead of making a few guys happy with five pounders, we could make a lot of people happy with one pounders. We can buy 5 times as many smaller ones for the same money. The hatchery owners have told us that they'd be more than happy to stock one pounders in the creeks and lakes, I've even volunteered to help in Rock Creek Canyon. The fish would be put in places that DFG doesn't put them (DFG uses a years old list and map for stocking, no derivations).
This is all still in the discussion stages, but we have to spend this money by the end of June, with the intent that the fish would be stocked by that time. We just have to figure out the logistics behind it. I was almost hesitant to write about this (didn't want to get people's hopes up), but there are a couple of good articles in the last issues of the local papers about it, so the cat's already out of the bag...look up "The Sheet" (the best article), or the "Mammoth Times"...both front page articles.
We will get another allotment of funds from the County July 1st (supposed to be $25,000, but we're asking for more), and our main idea is to spend it on trout from Oregon, both trophy fish and smaller. Also working on other ideas to keep the fishing in Mono County as good as we can get it. I'll try to keep everybody up to date as things progress.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
Thanks for the info and your service Commissioner! I think your idea of more fish in the one pound range makes sense. More people will get to enjoy that way. Hope to see you at club this year.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Yes,  and stocking fish in places that usually don't get stocked might be cool too.  Like maybe from the bridges in Mos. flats,  or a couple of the other bridges up the canyon,  not right in campgrounds where they are easy pickings.  Good work Scout,  thanks for the positive vibes  :clap: :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
When I helped DFG stock in the mid 2000's, the first trip out, going through Tuff Camp, I started to tell the driver where I thought we should put the fish...I've been fishing down there since the mid 50's, and know where all the cool spots are. The driver pulled out a three ring binder, went to the appropriate page, and said he had to follow that, dumping only where the book said he could. It bothered him as much as it pi**ed me off, but he said he had no choice.
So, yes, it would be nice to put some fish where they may stay awhile, but I don't know if DFG will dictate where Desert Springs can put them. Hope for the best.
We're also discussing the revival of raising some small DFG trout in cages in local lakes, getting them to  a better size before release...I think Creekdude may have been involved in this at the  Resort, Jim did it in the early 2000's.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
I'm all for smaller fish in the streams. I like to catch big fish as much as anyone but stocking a 3-4lb trout in places like Bishop Creek and Rock Creek has always seemed ridiculous to me. At least try to keep things realistic, save the bigger fish for the lakes where they belong. Big trout are suppose to be the wise old fish that are harder to catch. That is what makes them special. To be honest with you I'd much rather fry and eat a skillet full of 12in stockers than have a baked 4lb trout any day.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
I did land some of the Desert Springs Hatchery Rainbows from Oregon last season, good looking trout and good fighters, much more active than the Alpers ever were (nothing wrong with the Alpers!).  Did cook up a couple of them and were very tasty.  But I agree with the consciences that many 1 lb. trout makes more sense than just a few trophy trout, especially if you’re stocking in a creek.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:49 PM »
I read numerous articles today which revealed that the DFW in the 2015 stocking will reduce the size of fish stocked to 1/4 pound,,,, that's 4 measly ounces. Can you imagine how many of those fish are going to die when they grab whatever bait they gulp down... That means none of the stocked fish would even be big enough to keep.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
Thanks Scout for your service on the Comission!  I wonder if SNARL has any tanks they would let the Comission use to raise trout.  My family goes way back as caretakers at SNARL in the 70's and I remember all the tanks they use to have to study the trout at different life stages.  Wonder if they are using all of them still...might be an option.
The creek is waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
I appreciate your thoughts Scout, and thanks for taking part in trying to make a difference.

Makes a lot more sense to me, to stock one pounders then larger fish.

Unfortunately, I think some of the better spots to stock are logistically impossible, such as at the pond, those pools below the pond but well above the Groves, spots between the Meadow campgrounds and above, and as Terry pointed out those locations towards Mosquito Flats. Ya, it would be nice to have to hike a little to get to the fish.

Then again, I wonder if we'll have enough flow this year to put fish in the creek. Back to back years of extremely low snow pack, I just can't imagine what the creek will look like this fall.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »
I wonder if SNARL has any tanks they would let the Comission use to raise trout.  My family goes way back as caretakers at SNARL in the 70's and I remember all the tanks they use to have to study the trout at different life stages.  Wonder if they are using all of them still...might be an option.

If you mean the tanks inside the building, they're still there, and being used for research. I did pass a note to the admin, though.

:fishing4:

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »
If you mean the tanks inside the building, they're still there, and being used for research. I did pass a note to the admin, though.

:fishing4:

Yep...those are them! I remember picking out my dinner from those tanks when I was a child  ;) ;) ;)
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
Interesting ideas concerning SNARL, something I can bring up if and when we start exploring other locations for a hatchery. I'm not familiar with the facilities at SNARL (hint for Beldingi...get me in there sometime?), not sure what you mean by "tanks"...probably something I'd like to see. I'm pretty sure that anybody that would want to start another hatchery would want a lot of territory for the various stages of raising fish.
Something to think about, though

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
What the heck is SNARL.....

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:26 PM »
Sierra Nevada Aquatic Research Laboratory, across from the Green Church on 395. Initially part of F&G, now part of U of C's Natural Reserve System.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
LOL...I guess most wouldn't know as it is quite hidden and it s not SARL...Santa Ana River Lakes!  It has been there for a very long time...my first camping trip at 18 months was to SNARL.  My first fish I caught was out of their creek when I was 2 years old.  They have rearing ponds (aka Tanks) that are indoors where they raise trout for research. 
The creek is waiting...

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »
How do we find out about the various community or resort programs that raise money for fish stocking.  Maybe someone that
knows could post info on who accepts donations and what and where they stock.
I`m sure lots of us on this board would be willing to donate or help out.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 11:27:05 PM »
The Bishop Chamber of Commerce has a stocking program and does accept donations. I know that they were paying for and stocking Alpers for the last couple of years because they have been posting the schedule to this same chamber site.
http://www.bishopvisitor.com/fishingFishStocking.php
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:10:49 AM by Gary C. »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Another worthy non-profit fish rearing program is the Bridgeport Fish Enhancement Foundation.  Their goal is to restore the brown trout fishery in this area.  Maybe a little north for most folks here, but I hit this area pretty hard lately and what a pleasure to be able to fish for brown trout up to 3 lbs. in these waters.  They also stock rainbows, but their focus is the brown trout.  You will find the browns from Virginia Lakes to Bridgeport Reservoir and all the creeks and lakes in between.  You can see the operation live at Virginia Creek Settlement. 

http://bridgeportfishenhancement.com/