Author Topic: Horrible news for 2015 fish stocking...  (Read 14010 times)

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible news for 2015 fish stocking...
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 02:52:20 PM »
I was waiting until after the March meeting of the Fisheries Commission to respond to questions about how, and where to contribute to the "fishing fund". The meeting should have been this Wed., but they postponed it for a couple of weeks. We have been talking about how to get public interest in helping pay for the fish from Desert Springs, but no definite ideas yet. I'd hoped that we would have discussed it, and that I'd have some answers for you guys who are interested...now we'll have to wait a while.
One sure thing you can do is to drop off some $ at the Resort for Jim King. He usually has to pay for the extra fish stocked in Rock Creek Lake out of the Resort's coffers, I think he'd appreciate the help.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
Read this article today in Western Outdoor News

One thing not mentioned is how many people are fishing without a license, my guess is we are losing out on a lot of revenue because of illegal activity. Of course that would just be more money for the state to mismanage.

Western Outoor News

Published: Mar 04, 2015

Fishing license sales in California continue in a downward plunge, according to the California Sportfishing League, and the numbers have gone from 2.26 million annual resident fishing licenses sold in 1980 to only 990,000 in 2014, and the population increased nearly 60 percent in the same time period!

Those 990,000 fishing licenses bring the DFW $46,530,00, but they can’t find $2 million to raise the number of stocked trout, to the same size, that they have been doing in the past? So this year they intend to cut the numbers by about half, and the size by about half as big, way too small to even keep.

And we wonder why license sales are decreasing?

The Department of Fish and Wildlife’s proposed budget for 2014-2015 was $403 million, and yet they couldn’t find $2 million in that budget to purchase trout for our 990,000 kids and licensed anglers to fish for in 2015? That’s a total of $2.02 per angler, but they still can’t do it?

If one angler in California wanted to fish in the state, and buy all the stamps and tags for all species, he would pay a total of $120.04 for one year!

We say, “take a youngster fishing,” but if grandpa wanted to take his two 17-year-old grandsons fishing for one day in the local pond, he would have to pay $94.02 for the privilege! And, a fishing license is not good for “one year,” as it expires on Dec. 31 of every year.

According to the 2010 Census and the National Fish and Wildlife Service, California’s fishing participation is just 5 percent, last in the Nation. This is despite the fact that California has one of the nation’s longest coastlines, over 4,000 lakes/reservoirs and thousands of rivers and streams.

And we wonder why fishing license sales are decreasing? It’s obvious: A Department of Fish and Wildlife that cares more about money than about providing product or service to its constituents.

gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »
To me, it is ridiculous that a fishing license is only good until December 31 each year. They should make them good for one calendar year from the date of purchase. I only get a chance to get up to Rock Creek for a week each year, and with a license costing $47, I can't justify spending that much for one week of fishing. I can see why some people fish without a license, in all the years I've been coming to Rock Creek I have never once been asked for my license. But with my luck, if I was to fish without a license, that's when the ranger would show up. But nothing will keep me from coming to RC and sitting in my chair listening to the wind blow through the trees.

:camping:

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »
   I did a little research on the amount of fishing licenses sold last year and the cost (of last year's license). I got this information for the DFG's site. It looks like the fishing license program brought in roughly 45 million last year. My question here is, is this all going for the restocking? And if so, why is there so much of a short-fall? I understand that research needs to be done to enhance the process, but are the fees being stolen from this program for the sake of research? I don't mean to create a loaded discussion...just don't understand the short-fall of funds.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Statistics

"Don't get no better than this!"

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
Pretty cool link to show updated stocking and past stocking. Also has cool information about each body of water. I'm sure most of you have seen this before.

https://map.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/

:pie:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

rsimcox

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Considering that almost 400,000 pounds of less fish will be stocked, that comes to about 3/4 a million less fish won't be stocked..... to me that's a heck of a lot of fish..

Actually this is not really true. I heard a 40% cut in in weight, but there will also be a 50% cut in fish size (from 8" to 4" trout plant size). So that should mean that there will actually be more fish planted, but much tinier.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »
Anybody that’s been up to the Eastern Sierra fishing in stocked lakes this year knows the fish are really small this year, maybe like 8-9” at best with some skinny ones too!  Really sad.  But some of the resorts are adding some of the larger Desert Springs Hatchery Rainbows which are nice size.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »
My favorite creek to fish is only being stocked once a month with the SAME amount of net scoops that they would usually do once per week.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 06:18:11 PM »
This is very sad. The last few years I have seen declining fish in Rock Creek Lake which I assume is less fish stocked or more fish taken or probably a combination of both.

I will be coming to RCL for the 41st year and bringing my grandchildren for their second annual RCL trip. Last year I was able to produce fish on the end of their hooks and they were very happy. We try to catch & release as much as possible but that can only happen with fly & bubble or lure fishing.

We don't sit on the shore and catch limits of fish based on the amount of children and adults present.

It seems like the angling culture has changed and I think the folks on this message board are outnumbered by people who have no interest or knowledge of the Sierras and it's history.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 05:36:15 AM »
What?  You mean the "me, me, me" culture?  But they're entitled.  You're right, trouter, it has changed and likely there are fewer of those that choose to still respect our limited resources and opportunities to the wide open clean air, the precious waters and the ever dwindling fish supply in them, but not one of the majority can take away your grandchildrens' experience with their "Papa", that's for sure.  I bet you'll turn them into fly fisher-folk as the years go by just 'cause I think you'll instill that respect and love through your sharing time with them.  Hope your 41st year's return proves memorable.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.