Author Topic: Bubble and fly during the day  (Read 7147 times)

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Bubble and fly during the day
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
Hello all,

As I try and grow in my fishing skills, I'm wondering what works during the day in terms of a fly and bubble in the backcountry.  I have success during dawn / dusk with a nymph (or really anything), but during the day I find it difficult to find something the fish are wanting.  Occasionally I do get into a bite in the day time with my go-to flies, but I usually switch to the lures at that point.  I'm not complaining, because I catch fish, but I was wondering what might I try during the day on the fly/bubble setup?

Thanks,
Brian

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble and fly during the day
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Black ant, light cahill, female adams, green body mosquito, Rock Creek Special...might try those dries...
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
Your'e right on Creek! I perfer taking a nap in my hammock in the afternoon with a good book and the sound of the aspens in the breeze. RELAX!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »
I know I have said this before,  but put down the fly and bubble and pick up a flyrod.  Flyfish the creeks going into or out of Chickenfoot,  Ruby,  Hidden Lakes,  Gems,  Long,  Box...you get the idea...if you hit it right,  once things warm up a bit,  prolly in about a month,  you'll catch so many brook trout in the creek you will wonder why you did not start earlier,  and you only need a few basic flies,  elk hair caddis,  mosquitos,  adams,  black gnats and ants...go get ya some :fishing3:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

87corvetteking

• Junior Creeker
  • Rock Creek!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:42:12 AM »
Yeah, Terry is right. There is nothing like fly fishing the proper way and you can find a fairly reliable setup from walmart or kmart for $50. They're perfect for starting off and well worth the investment!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
Match the hatch!  Observe what the fish are feeding on.  Then match it with one of your flies.

A good plan I use with success is fish with dries during dawn/dust and wet flies during the day.  Trout tend to go deep during the day once the water warns up.  Thatís why your lure works best during the day.  Using a wet fly and possible a small split-shot will reach the trout you seek.

Fly and bubble set-ups do have one big advantage over fly rods! That is when the fish are feeding far off shore where fly rods cannot reach but fly & bubble has no problems reaching.  But fly rods have the advantage in creeks.

But match the hatch.  Otherwise youíre just guessing.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
I'm with hawk here. Dry fly's early and late, wet fly's mid day. Try using a Streamer w/ a full bubble, and a slow retrieve. I really like the Rainbow trout imitation streamer. I've done pretty well in the back country lakes on those. On the other hand.... did someone say Sierra nap? A good Sierra nap can be almost as rewarding as catching a fish!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
You won't have to match anything if you fish streams,  just those 3 or 4 flies I mentioned,  and you are set!  By the way,  if you do fish the lakes in the daytime,  I suspect a black stonefly might work!  They are deadly in the creeks,  and since they sink,  I bet they would be just fine in the lakes.  Good opinions here!  Let's fish!! :fishing3:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
I couple of the guys that I backpack with refuse to make the jump to a fly rod but they only use a fly/bubble in the backcountry. I don't get it because if I carried a spinning rod you can bet I'd have a handfull of my favorite lures also. In any case, midday or anytime they want to go deep they fill there bubble with water and put a streamer behind it. It is a very effective method to fish a fly deep. Just be careful with your casting because it's easy to snap off on light line.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »
Good tips gary C. Thanks :fishing3:

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Thanks so much everyone - I know I'll love fly fishing when I eventually learn to, but for now, I'm happy with the fly / bubble.  I went ahead an ordered several streamers - wooly buggers, matukas, pistol petes, etc.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
The fly and bubble is something I too want to spend more time doing.

Anyone ever try a small kastmaster without the hooks, with a 4-5' leader and a wooly bugger etc. Heard a guy talking about how well he does with it and I have yet to try it.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

oakboy

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Found this in the information section.   :fishing3:

Fishing with a Fly & Bubble

Equipment
1.  Clear sliding bubble
2.  One or two-pound leader
3.  A swivel
4.  A fly

Getting Set Up
1.  Slide the bubble onto your main four pound line
2.  Tie a swivel on the line to stop the bubble from sliding
3.  Run six feet of leader from the swivel to the fly
4.  Tie the fly
5.  Fill the bubble about half full with water, and...
6.  Cast it out there!

Techniques/Locations
Retrieve your fly slowly, try to keep your line tight, and give it a little action like you would a lure.  The best time to fish with a fly and bubble is late-afternoon until just before dark.  Fishing really heats up late!  The lake is the best place to try this technique out, not the creek, although this technique does work in the creek as well.

This is probably the best way to fish Rock Creek Lake from shore, especially late in the day.  This is also an extremely effective way to fish the backcountry lakes.  Use only one-pound leader in the backcountry, because nearly all the fish that are caught back there are small brook or rainbow trout.  Very few trout push or exceed ten inches, let alone a pound in the backcountry.  Two-pound leader is appropriate for fishing the lake.
<><

KP