Author Topic: Blake Jones 2015  (Read 4155 times)

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Blake Jones 2015
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
Im thinking about heading up to the Blake Jones Tournament. I was wondering if anyone else is going to be there? Has anyone ever fished this? I was wondering how many people head up and fish this tournament, and about how early do you need to show up to PVR to get a decent spot. I've never even been to PVR so any info would be cool.

This will be my first opportunity to head up there this year to get some fishing done. Big Bear Lake just isnt producing for me like it did last year.

If anyone wants to meet up let me know.

:fishing3:

MGD
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Blake Jones 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
I've been going to Blake Jones for a few years in a row now. The Derby is fun, but Very crowded. My friends son caught the biggest fish in the youth division last year. Dad and son got to the boat ramp about 2:00 am to get the prime fishing spot. By 8:00 it will be tough to find a spot to wet a line. They actually use a big flat bed truck to haul people into PVR. I fish around the derby.What I do is head to Bishop early Friday. Big stocks go in for the derby, so we fish ahead of the derby and have had some great fishing! I'll ski or golf Saturday morning. The weigh in is at 3:00 Saturday, after that you can just about have the place to yourself. Once the crowd  is gone the fishing picks up nicely for the evening bite. The crowd is fun and the prizes are cool if you want to sign up for the derby. Pre-opener! Gets you ready for the opening day crowd. We have cabin at Toms Place for that weekend. Fish fry and BBQ Friday and Saturday night! Come on by!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:26:47 AM »
Yeah I just dont know where I'll stay if I roll up that way. Maybe a BLM campsite is the way to go. So what youre saying is 2am is the time to show up if you want a good spot Sierraslam? Can you drive to PVR that early or do you have to find that flat bed truck to truck you in at that time as well?

Thanks for the tips Sierraslam!!

MGD

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:31 PM »
The derby is like opening day at Convict, the entire shoreline is pretty much full by sunrise. That is why I fish Friday, and after 3:00 pm on Saturday. I donate to the Bishop Chamber of Commerce so I feel like I'm giving something back. I've caught some big fish out of PVR in the past. What I do is bring the bicycle and ride in from the upper power plant. The power plant is off Gorge rd. near Pine creek. Make a right turn on Gorge and a right turn at the stop sign. Follow the pavement road to the res. I usually fish the slow moving water just before the river widens into the Reservior. We usually have people bail out a few days before we leave. I'll keep you posted if you do end up going. I may have room at toms place.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Sweet! Thanks for the Info Sierraslam!   :clap:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »
Have never gone, but there are too many people in a concentrated area for my liking...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Yeah I agree, I normally hate to fish where there's tons of people.

But recently I've been really getting into fishing derbys and tournaments havent won one yet, but its always a good time.

I'm for sure going to this one! Wish me luck!

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
Good deal! I'll be staying at Toms Place. Come by for the fish fry Saturday night. Good luck!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »
Went to Blake Jones about 3 or 4 years ago, but didn't fish the derby. We fished PVR on Friday like Sierraslam mentioned and the fishing was quite good! Saturday we drove by some spots on the owens and PVR and there was a lot a lot of people !!
That particular year it was St Patricks day weekend and we had quite the good time hanging out with the locals at Rustys bar.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !