Author Topic: flash light apps  (Read 2094 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
flash light apps
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
ok everyone... get those flashlight apps on your phones!

we have an area called 'the canyon' near here... it is a mishmash of lots of canyons where the various branches of the american river come down out of the sierra's.   there are thousands of miles of trails used by hikers, horseback riders and mountainbike riders that wander all over...     

anyway,, a couple had wandered off of a trail and got disoriented the other day as it was getting dark...  they did have cell service, so they called for help, and told the sheriff  where they thought they might be... so the sheriff sent out a spotter and told them to turn on their flashlight app, hold their phone up in the air and circle slowly...  well low and behold, the sheriff was able to spot them and guide the rescue crew straight to them.  then they all walked out safely.

and here i thought flashlights were to help you not trip over things in the dark:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: flash light apps
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
For what it's worth -

LHR has posted a very important safety/recsue tool.

I live in Sierra Madre, CA and my son and I are aquaintances with a couple of members of the renowned and highly skilled and successful Sierra Madre Search and Rescue Team.

Over the past year they have stated  on several occasions this app has made the difference in both ground and helicopter sightings of those in need of rescue in the dark.

I won't  be-labor the point with details other than that they have said were it not for those cell phone flashlights they likely would have suspended the searches until daylight hours.  Most on this board understand how those few hours in the dark and cold can mean the difference to a unprepared, inexperienced and possibly injured person.......but who likely has a newest version smart phone with them.  :-)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
I am kind of laughing here.... cause while we all know better than to head out unprepared.. how many times have we taken that 'quick jaunt' somewhere... we are going to only run out there and back... no need for a jacket, no need for a flashlight, no need for extra food,,,,, yada yada yada....

but we always grab our phone,, if only to use the camera on it...

and we all know, this will be the time we trip and sprang our ankle or something...

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
I used a flashlight app to see if anyone was posting on-site.

Nada

There are some crickets chirping but no new posts for a while.

On a serious note, the use of anything to help keep hiker safe is a good thing.