Author Topic: 2015 Sierra Nevada Pictures  (Read 129752 times)

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Sierra Nevada Pictures
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 07:01:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure I recognize that outcropping on the mountain face to the right, which puts the road right below Saddlebag Lake, though I can't say I've walked on it.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »
It looks like the road that goes to the Tioga Lake Dam. Backside of Tioga is one of my favs.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
It looks like the road that goes to the Tioga Lake Dam. Backside of Tioga is one of my favs.

Nailed it Sierraslam!  Big hint was Mount Dana in the background, this road as Sierraslam says, takes you to Tioga Lakeís Dam area for usually pretty good fishing for planters.  This was taken in late May 2014.  *Note:  They drained the Tioga Lake last fall for Dam repairs so not sure if it will be fishable this year, depends when the Dam repairs are complete.  I drove by late October and was still not completed.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
Peak at the water on the backside.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Beautiful pics from everyone.  I'll try to post a few as well. Here's one from last year at sotcher lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
Would really help if you used a image hosting site for posting photos.  They will look much better and Bigger!

I use Photobucket, which is an image hosting site for storing and sharing photos and videos on internet forums, like ours.  Offers 2 GB of free storage for your photos, which is quite a lot.  Thereís also online photo editor to spruce up your photos if needed.  It automatically configures my photos so no worry there.  And the best part is itís Free!

There are many other image hosting sites out there, some free and others have a modest fee.  So you have many choices from which to pick from.  Here are online instructions on how to post using Photobucket:

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=16.msg130 - msg130

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:57 PM »
Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to make them bigger. I think I'll be able fix it now. Thanks again.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:44 AM »
Tioga Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »
Looks like they stocked this lake with small hatchery trout, this one being 9-10" at best.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 06:58:17 AM »
Fishing is good anywhere at Tioga Lake.  Just need to be able cast far enough to where the deep water lays.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »
11-12" trout with nice colors.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »
Great pictures. I really like the peace and quiet of Tioga Lake. Short little walk too. Once in a while I'll spend a night back there prior to doing the 20 Lake Basin hike.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
Thatís my two goldens, Francine of the left and Dylan on the right.  This is another reason we head to the back-side of Tioga Lake so they can swim to their hearts content.  Are dogs are part of our family and itís there vacation too!  Of course, I never let them swim if people are fishing nearby.  We had the lake to ourselves this day.  This was taken before Gracie became part of our family.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 06:46:54 AM »
Even with my dogs swimming around my line, fish were still biting.  Isnít life grand! :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
Views of Tioga Lake & Tioga Peak

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 07:13:33 AM »
Coming back from Yosemite in late October, this is what Tioga Lake looked like drained!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 07:14:31 AM »
Tioga lake Oct 2014

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »
wow!

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 05:03:25 PM »
Wow!

Is the same first thought I had.

I have been fishing this lake and the surrounding area starting when I was a kid back in the late '60's/early 70's and I have never seen it like this, even during the last major drought of the late '70's.  I have seen it low in the fall and also frozen over until right before 4th of July in the heavy and very late winters of '83 and again in '95 but never this 'drastic' of a condition.  I understand it was an 'artificial' draw down, but now you have to wonder with the dismal winter this year, how long might it take to bring it back up to any where near it's former and intended capacity/depth?

Wow!

(Wow - writing this and re-reading it sure makes me feel like I sound far older than I feel or think that I am  :lol2:)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
Tioga lake dam and the dam repair crew - Oct 2014

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »
Peaking through the aspens at the lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »
This is from my backpacking trip from last July, completing John Muir Trail for the third time.  The John Muir Trail is the premier hiking trail in the United States.  The trail starts in Yosemite National Park, and continues 215 miles through the Ansel Adams Wilderness, Sequoia National Park, Kings Canyon National Park, and ends at the highest peak in continental United States, Mount Whitney at 14,496 ft.

I took my time and completed this trail through three summers.  The third leg of my trip started in Bishop Creek Canyon at the Bishop Pass Trail at South Lake.  Normally it takes me about 5 days to hike to Mount Whitney from the Bishop Pass Trail, but I was traveling through some of the premier Golden trout trophy fisheries in the Sierra.  So I gave myself 10 days and Iím glad I did.  I took something like 600 photos, but will bring that number down to the best 100 or less.  Very little snow seen on this leg due to the draught, even on Forester Pass at 13,153 feet above sea level.  Great trip though with mostly good weather.

Bishop Pass Trailhead

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 07:12:25 AM »
Bishop Creek Canyon at Long Lake

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
wow, how beautiful!!  Thanks wshawkins for all of the pictures and history notes.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »
Appreciate that papow!