Author Topic: 2015 Sierra Nevada Pictures  (Read 170563 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Sierra Nevada Pictures
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2015, 07:16:49 AM »
Inside the Mount Whitney Summit Hut

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
An average of 30,000 people climb Mount Whitney every year and most if not all sign the Summit Register.  Once you sign it spend a few minutes reading what other visitors have written to record their individual achievements.  Some are quite emotional as they commemorate their accomplishment to a lost love one, cancer victim or something similar to that.  Some leave a pictures or personal items as a sad goodbye to a loved one.  Even the manliest of men come out from reading the past entrees with tears in their eyes.

Mount Whitney Summit Register

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 22, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
Mount Whitney

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 22, 2015, 06:43:23 AM »
You have officially made it to the tallest mountain! Mount Whitney is the highest summit in the contiguous United States and the Sierra Nevada.  This is also the end of the John Muir Trail, or start depending which direction you take.  From here you should soak in the wonderful views.  It is truly beautiful up here and on a clear day you can see forever.  Take your time and see it all. 

Summit Views - Looking North

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 23, 2015, 07:12:30 AM »
Looking East

Summit Views

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 23, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »

Iceberg Lake - Mount Whitney

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 23, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
Looking South - Mount Whitney

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 24, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »
Amazed that this Yellow Bellied Marmot can live on top of Mount Whitney!  This one was looking out for handouts and seemed to be successful at it.

Local Resident

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 24, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »
Interesting look at the back side of the Needles

Needles - Mount Whitney

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 26, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »
Now that I finished the John Muir Trail, itís time to go home.  For me the end of the trail is the Whitney Postal, which is 11 miles away but itís all downhill.  On the way down you hit the Trail Junction.  Trail Junction is a place to drop off your heavy packs and make the final climb to Mount Whitney Summit.  Somewhere in that picture is my pack!

Trail Junction

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 27, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »
At the top of the 99 switchbacks rests what is known as Trail Crest.  This small area has great views of both the Whitney Trail and the Sequoia National Park on the other side. 

Trail Crest

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 27, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »
Trail Crest & Upper Hitchcock Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 28, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
One of the famous parts of this hike is the section known as the cables.  This section gets its name from the cables that line the trail to keep hikers from falling off the steep rock face to the right.  During most years this area has snow and ice blocking the path as it almost never sees the sun.  A breeze this year as the drought continues.

The Cables

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:37:37 AM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 28, 2015, 07:17:46 AM »
This area has 99 different switchbacks that rise over 1700 feet to the ridge above.  They seem endless coming down, but much worse for the hikers coming up.  As a courtesy I usually never speak to the hikers coming in this section as there usually in pain (physical).  Many of the switchbacks are short making them seem to go a little faster.

99 Switchbacks

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #364 on: December 28, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »
Nice job wshawkins!!!  Great report and photos as always!!
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
Thanks Todd!  Was a really great trip.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 29, 2015, 07:19:08 AM »
Consultation Lake (also known as Constipation Lake by someone on this Board :))) has a pretty glacier aqua color to its waters.   Also has good Rainbow Trout fishing in its waters as Sierraslam mentioned earlier.

Consultation Lake
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:46:32 AM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »
Just as its name plies, Mirror Lake does have a mirror like reflection.  Had Brookies in it waters.

Mirror Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
Waterfall at Outpost Meadow

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2015, 06:58:37 AM »
Lone Pine Lake is really a gorgeous lake in a beautiful setting.  It also harbors Rainbow Trout in its waters.

Lone Pine Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 31, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »
End of the line for me.  I grabbed a bite in the kitchen at the Portal Store.  The kitchen serves great pancakes and burgers.  I went for a greasy cheeseburger and it was heaven!  Now for the long ride home.

Took a while but finally completed the John Muir Trail.  It was a pleasure for me to share my photos from this trip and maybe inspire someone to switch hats and explore the great Eastern Sierra and all that it offers.

Already making plans for next year for a backpacking trip into Sequoia National Park for a search for Monster Goldens and great photo opportunities.  I basically know where the Goldens are located but they donít always cooperate with us fishermen.  And thanks to all for the nice comments!  I do appreciate them all!

Mount Whitney Trailhead Ė Whitney Portal

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 01, 2016, 06:21:40 AM »
Thanks as always, wshawkins, for a magnificent journey.  The pictures from on top of Mt. Whitney are both intimidating and spectacular.  Your contributions to all of us who read and view on this Board are perhaps more valuable than you can imagine.  I, for one, will likely never make this journey, so, vicariously I have been to the top of the hill.  :hiking2:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 01, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
Saudist is SOOO right on!  This has been an incredible journey for those of us far away from the magnificent mountains (most of the time)!  Thank you SO SO much!

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 01, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
Thanks for a great trip on the John Muir Trail  :clap:
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:46 PM »
The last three posts have pretty much nailed it! So I'll just say Thank You for your sharing of your trips into the beautiful back country, your fishing experiences there chasing brown and golden trout, your autumn pictures, your knowledge of history in these parts, and your contributions sharing questions about fishing gear etc. You are a true Mountain Man!
THANK YOU!  :clap:  :clap: