Author Topic: Is a 6wt Fly Rod too heavy for Sierra trout?  (Read 7655 times)

CJO395

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Is a 6wt Fly Rod too heavy for Sierra trout?
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
Hi Guys, hoping to get a quick answer on something.  I just made an impulse buy of a Fenwick 6wt fly rod, but I'm starting to second guess my decision.  I could have gone with either a 4 piece 9' 6wt or a 2 piece 9' 5wt.  Based on what I'm reading, 5wts are considered to be very versatile, but some sites say 6wts are even MORE versatile because they handle wind and streamers better.  Other sites say stay away from 6wts because they are too heavy to fish for small trout, and have trouble with delicate fly presentation.  I usually use size 16-20 flies.

I have a 4wt 3 piece that I will use for small streams.  I wanted kind of an "all arounder" that can handle the lake fishing aspect, as well as the occassional backcountry stream.  Should I get something else? 

By the way, I used to post here under a different username.  I met Saleem and McGee Dude up in the local mountains to learn how to fly fish.  Hopefully those guys are still around. 

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Is a 6wt Fly Rod too heavy for Sierra trout?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »
Welcome back. Salim (ab-syn) and McGee are still here...
I'd go with the lighter of the bunch.  The length will handle the wind and the wt will take on the delicacy... I have a 6 wt 4 piece Cabela's combo. fish aren't ask picky as we humans are.... *sorry* spilit bamboo dudes. I was fly fishing before it was fashionable.   Actually a fly/bubble/spin  combo is my go to backcountry go to rig. I can duplicate fly rod and obvious metal chuckin.  Ask Hawk; I bet he would agree... :flyfish: :twothumbs:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:55:36 AM »

If most of your fishing will be in small streams, rivers, and lakes, a general purpose 5 weight 9-foot fast action 3 or 4 piece rod should be all you need.  As you gain experience and want to try hand at small creeks or for larger fish, you can always purchase a second rod.  This rod with catch trout up to 3 lbs. with no trouble.  Make sure you buy a good quality reel that matches your rod of choice.

What do I carry?  3wt fast action 7-footer for trout 12 or under (like Little Lake Valley) and a 5wt fast action 9-footer general purpose 4 piece rod for larger trout waters.  But had trouble bringing in the big Browns during my fall fishing trip last year on my 5wt, so a 6wt would have been handy.  For backpacking, I carry spinner/bubble/fly combo 7-foot UL 4-piece rod.  Caught a 22 Golden last summer on it!  Its all I need for the backcountry lakes.

But considering you already have a 4wt that can handle over 90% of all your fishing needs, the 6wt looks fine to me when fishing the large rivers and lakes fishing for the big trout.

And welcome back!  What name did you post by then, I might remember it.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

CJO395

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I honestly can't remember my old username.  I'm guessing Hwy395? 

Would a fast action rod be the best choice for someone who doesn't really know fly fishing all that well?  I never really got the hang of it, and then I sold it eventually when I got frustrated that I couldn't feel the fish bite at the end of the line.  I was thinking of a medium/medium fast rod. 

I might actually sell my 4wt and get a 3wt for small streams.  Maybe I'll use a 5wt or the 6wt for everything else?  My main concern was that the 6wt was going to be too heavy and stiff for small trout.  The rod I purchased came as part of an outfit.... really nice Fenwick travel tube, Blackhawk 5/6 reel, prespooled with line, backing, and leader, all for $99 dollars.  Couldn't pass it up, even if it was a 6wt instead of a 5wt.  I guess I can always keep the reel and rod tube and sell the rod if it doesn't work out. 

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »
I agree with wshawkins that either the 4wt or the 6wt will cover your needs for now. A 5wt is what I recommend to guys just getting started but that is because it will work on the smaller streams and also bigger water. With your rods you are probably better covered that way. What you really need now is practice and experience. Find someone that fly fishes and spend time on the water with them. All of the fly shops have pay to learn classes and most of the fly fishing clubs offer free fly fishing seminars. As your skill level goes up so will your knowledge of what will work best for you.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »
flyfishingaddicts.com good info also

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
Most beginners would benefit more with a fast action or medium-fast action rod as it is easier and more accurate when casting longer distances.  However you should try casting the rod before purchasing it.  Take it for a test drive.  Check to see if your local fly shop has fly fishing clinics as Gary said.  Near me is Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Store and it has a fly fishing clinic every year where you can test drive over 20 different fly fishing rods of all sizes and shapes.  Great opportunity where you can practice your casting for free on different rods and have fly fishing experts on hand to answer your questions and help with casting if needed. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »
Would your old handle be Brewskier?
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
CJO395

how is the beer brewing hobby coming along?

wshawkins, and Gary C are super assets on this board for fly fishing.
I use a 3 wt or 4wt at rock creek or the back country streams.
the 5 - 6 wt will work great on Crowley and the owens (the wind swept flats).

what ever you have already, stop by sometime if you still work in Torrance and borrow a 3 or 4 wt 2 piece I purchased for teaching others to fish with. Try that with your other rod as wshawkins and gary c talked about.

fast rods are great to start with and I stuck with them.  once you master them you can hit at 10-70 ft with precision.
but fishing with other rods is also fun.

I used a 2wt on  rock creek in the back country and at the west fork of the san gabriel.  those little sardines bent the rod in half.

it all about fun, and at the end of the day, just enjoy your time on the river, creek or lake with what you have.
most light weight rods will not break even when you hook a 3lbs fish.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Hey ab-sn I broke the Tip off my TFO again. I'm sending it in to be fixed. I was wondering if I could borrow one of your rods you use to teach people for the opener at the end of the month. I'm thinking I wont have my TFO back in time.

:camping:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:54:04 PM by Mcgee Dude »
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Mcgee Dude
no problem, just call and will arrange a meeting so you can borrow what you need.