Author Topic: Open to fish this weekend?  (Read 3166 times)

snowowl

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Open to fish this weekend?
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first time out into the Sierras this early in the year, so I'm not too familiar with what is open to fishing right now and I'm trying to plan a trip somewhere this weekend for my spring break. Digging around I found a few locations open like Hot Creek, but I was hoping for somewhere higher into the mountain scenery rather than in the Valley so I could really use some advice. To give you an idea of the places Im used to going; Rock Creek, Virginia Lakes, Twin Lakes area, Big Pines lakes. Thanks!  :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Open to fish this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »
All the lakes you mentioned wonít be open to fishing until the opener, which is April 25th of this year.  What is open now is:

Lower Owens River including Pleasant Valley and Tinemaha Lakes which opened for fishing on March 7th.

The East and West Walker are open year round but have special regulations. 

Hot Creek and the Upper Owens River are open to fishing but both also have special regulations.

Check the 2015 Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations handbook for more information, especially the special regulations.  You can get one at any fishing store or online at:

www.wildlife.ca.gov
        "It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
          • View Profile
        « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
        Hey wshawkins I thought Tinemaha Lakes were closed to fishing all year round?
        Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
        • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
          • View Profile
        « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
        Reading the regs and thatís what itís says.  Could be a misprint I guess.  They stock Tinemaha Creek, and it flows into Tinemaha Reservoir.  So the reservoir must have fish in it.  Also fished downstream of Tinemaha Dam in the Owens River in the wild section, nice trout there!  But never fished the reservoir as I thought it was off limits.  If anybody knows differently, it would be appreciated.

Do know that Tinemaha Reservoir is popular with the bird lovers as there is a wildlife viewpoint at the lake and as I was passing some folks on my way down to the Owens River they had their binoculars out and where pretty excited about a particular duck or bird they saw!
        "It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
        I'm headed up to camp at PVR on Sunday.  Spring break for me too.  Got some fishing and exploring plans.

John

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
          • View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:55 AM »
        I fished the reservoir back in 05' maybe during a rain storm in November when my family and I use to stay at Boulder Creek RV camp on the 395 south of Lone Pine.

It was the most windy day I've ever experienced fishing. I caught 3 good size rainbows there and there were 2 guys out on the float tubes kicking for their lives haha.

I was told that you can no longer fish there, not sure.
        Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!